Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This Kindergarten Shamed 1 Mom For Her "Unacceptable" Snack: Raisins

Posted by on May. 26, 2017 at 11:02 AM
  • 42 Replies

This Kindergarten Shamed 1 Mom For Her "Unacceptable" Snack: Raisins

After packing her little one what she considered to be an appropriate snack, one mom is sharing the surprising note that her child came home from kindergarten with.

The mom from Australia first shared the note on a closed Facebook group, and it has since gone viral for its criticism of dried fruit. "Please help us to encourage nutritious eating habits in children. Our healthy eating policy asks you to provide healthy and nutritious snacks for your child to eat at kindy," the note read. "The sultanas (golden raisins) packed for your child today are unacceptable at kindy due to its high sugar content."

Many parents are shocked at this school's response to the lunch, but nobody is as surprised as the mom who received the note. "This must be a joke? Of course they are high in sugar, they are fruit," she wrote in her Facebook post's caption, according to Kidspot. "Today's lunch consisted of a sandwich roll, two boiled eggs, an orange, kiwi fruit, and a handful of sultanas. She never has packaged food in her lunchbox or anything with refined sugar."

Kathryn Hawkins, a dietitian and mom, came to the parent's defense over this lunch shaming, which so many other well-intentioned moms and dads have faced recently, because she wants it to stop. "If your child enjoys sultanas and feels happy when eating them, then that is a great choice for them. If you are a busy working household and grabbing a box of sultanas for the lunchbox makes it a bit easier for you, then it is a great choice for you," she wrote on Facebook. "You DO NOT have to feel one bit guilty for putting a box of sultanas in your child's lunch and you DO NOT have to 'explain' why."

by on May. 26, 2017 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on May. 26, 2017 at 11:04 AM
2 moms liked this

I've come to the conclusion that everybody in Australia is insane.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 26, 2017 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh geezz. Imagine the note I'd get for Doritos! LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2017 at 11:05 AM

People need to get out of other people's lunchboxes. It is none of their business what she feeds her child.  Raisins may have sugar but it isn't candy nor "high fructose corn syrup". People have lost their minds about what people serve their own children in a free country.  it is getting nuts.  It was a handful, not a lunchbox full.  She could have given him way worse than raisins.

shadow_lark
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2017 at 11:05 AM
Ridiculous. Yes, they are nothing but sugar, buts none of the school's business.
Trouser.Mouse
by on May. 26, 2017 at 11:06 AM
2 moms liked this
It even says dried fruit on the acceptable list...lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 26, 2017 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm so glad that I get to decide what my kid eats and not the school. I send my child a treat in his lunch every day he asks for a home packed lunch. Sometimes it's a couple cookies, sometimes it's some mini marshmallows or a couple pieces of candy. I have never been contacted by the school stating any of those things are inappropriate.
eztwins
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2017 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
And my response would be "kindly keep to the pervue of your job description which is educating on curriculum and leave my child nutrition to me, as the parent, and the child's doctor. Your assistance in a field you are not qualified is unnecessary and unwanted. Thank you and go back to your place."
ivegotrhythm
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2017 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
That's ridiculous
NiamhWitch
by Póg mo thóin on May. 26, 2017 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

lol whaaat?!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 26, 2017 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Seriously? Lol I replaced candy with raisins after my son started getting a little addicted from my moms candy bowl that she's always kept out and he started begging for candy everyday. I started giving him raisins and other dried/fresh fruits which is a lot healthier than other crap I could have given him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)