Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this a stupid idea?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
We're finding out the sex tomorrow(hopefully).
I do not want a traditional baby shower, I find them very boring and don't like being the center of attention. I had an idea but dh seems opposed to it. I thought we could invite family to bbq at a park. In the invitation explain we will not have a baby shower. No presents needed however( since some family will want to bring gifts regaurdless) diapers or gift cards will be appriciated. And put we will announce the sex at the bbq. Everyone would have a fun time, kids play at the park & we eat some bbq, not a huge thing just a family get together.

Dh thinks gender reveals are stupid but I won't be making it this huge thing just wait til everyone is together at the bbq to tell. Idk if it's a waste of time like dh thinks? He said just post it to Facebook and be done.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 26, 2017 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K3412
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2017 at 1:00 PM
That's not a baby shower but a gender reveal party. Have one if you want, but don't say anything about gifts or a shower. That's just tacky and nothing but a gift grab.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2017 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

meh.

if he's not on board.. skip it.

have a casual BBQ if you want, but don't send out formal invites, let alone invites that request "diapers or GC only"

he's probably embarassed

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2017 at 1:07 PM
I really don't think in our family diapers or gift cards would be taken as tacky since others include registry list in theirs.

Quoting K3412: That's not a baby shower but a gender reveal party. Have one if you want, but don't say anything about gifts or a shower. That's just tacky and nothing but a gift grab.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2017 at 1:08 PM
They wouldn't be formal invites but a Facebook group invite.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

meh.

if he's not on board.. skip it.

have a casual BBQ if you want, but don't send out formal invites, let alone invits that request "diapers of GC only"

he's probably embarassed

K3412
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2017 at 1:09 PM
But you don't have a registry for a gender reveal. This isn't a shower. You don't get to specify what people get you. Gift cards and diapers are fine at a shower, but this isn't a shower.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I really don't think in our family diapers or gift cards would be taken as tacky since others include registry list in theirs.

Quoting K3412: That's not a baby shower but a gender reveal party. Have one if you want, but don't say anything about gifts or a shower. That's just tacky and nothing but a gift grab.
corticosteroid
by on May. 26, 2017 at 1:10 PM

I'm not sure why you don't just throw a party and leave your baby bump out of it altogether...

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on May. 26, 2017 at 1:10 PM
I think it's a good idea.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2017 at 1:12 PM
Honestly, his family will not show unless I give them a reason to want to go(finding out the gender)
My family would totally show up for just a bbq then we could surprise them but not his

Quoting corticosteroid:

I'm not sure why you don't just throw a party and leave your baby bump out of it altogether...

Amy_M
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2017 at 1:13 PM

I would just invite them to a bbq to celebrate baby, if they ask later for gift ideas then tell them diapers or whatever.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2017 at 1:14 PM
Ok I get it. I will just put no gifts needed. But I know people will show up with them anyway and then others who didn't will feel awkward...but I guess that will be their problem.

Quoting K3412: But you don't have a registry for a gender reveal. This isn't a shower. You don't get to specify what people get you. Gift cards and diapers are fine at a shower, but this isn't a shower.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I really don't think in our family diapers or gift cards would be taken as tacky since others include registry list in theirs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)