Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dh wants to give his 21 yo dd his business

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
She's 19 but he says he wants to fully retire by the time she's 21 and she will take over.

This concerns me. Our son has always expressed that he wants to work for the family business but I worry my step dd won't let him do stuff that makes the big dollars once he's of age.

I also worry that she's going to drive it in the ground and my son won't even get the chance to work for his dad's business.

I can see this ending badly :(
Posted by Anonymous on May. 26, 2017 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Those are legit and valid concerns, your husband is being an idiot. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2017 at 2:03 PM
Thank you. His reasoning is that she's been working there since she was 15 and he started the business when he was 22. He thinks she's smarter than he is so she'd be more than capable of handling it.

I just don't know if that's enough to take on a whole business that has been running for over 20 years.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Those are legit and valid concerns, your husband is being an idiot. 

simplemom
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2017 at 2:03 PM
What is the business? Maybe your dh should put it in writing that the son gets an equal part when he comes of age.
PJMM
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2017 at 2:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Turn it into a corporation where dad can maintain some control. And consult a lawyer. Idc if he's turning it over to Christ himself I'd make sure it was a simple business deal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2017 at 2:05 PM
Construction. He could easily get stuck being the clean up kid forever and I wouldn't want that. She was offered an office position at the age of 15 and I want the same treatment for my son.

I think that's a good idea but I don't know how valid it'd be if she was fully the owner.

Quoting simplemom: What is the business? Maybe your dh should put it in writing that the son gets an equal part when he comes of age.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 26, 2017 at 2:08 PM
Why do you think your step dd is irresponsible, incapable, and unreasonable?
81Crystal
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2017 at 2:13 PM
How old is your son?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2017 at 2:17 PM

Quoting 81Crystal: How old is your son?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2017 at 2:18 PM
She's young and didn't finish college.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Why do you think your step dd is irresponsible, incapable, and unreasonable?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 26, 2017 at 2:19 PM
So his daughter is fully capable you're just worried your son won't get his share of the business?

Have you mentioned that to your husband?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)