Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Knee strengthening exercises?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
I have issues with both knees, usually it is my left knee. My doctor won't do anything for me. So any exercises help you ladies?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redneckmama4
by Loree on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Work on your thighs. Squats and stuff like that. Also bikes, stationary or outside. The action is easier on the knees and it strengthens.
Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:32 AM
I went thru 3 years of constant pain and am now recovering from knee surgery. PT did NOTHING for me but TENS did. I forget the brand but they have them for home use and are sold in the drug store. I seriously recommend a second opinion and an MRI if you haven't had one. My post surgical pain was LESS than the pain I had pre surgery!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:43 AM

really.. it depends on what the issue is. I'd suggest a different doctor. My daughter relocated her kneecap in HS. First Dr sent her to PT. The pain only got worse. The therapist was blaming the doctor, the Dr was blaming the therapist, and both told dd to just push through the pain. A new Dr specializing in sports injuries (one of the Doctors on the team that works with Buffalo sports teams) recommended surgery, even though the first Dr told us "no surgery will fix this".

..........so, another opinion is probably your best option, and that opinion shouldn't come from a bunch of undereducated "doctors" on CM

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:21 AM
If your muscles are weak, you'll have more pain. PT is the best for knees before and after surgery.

Quoting Isaacsmom913: I went thru 3 years of constant pain and am now recovering from knee surgery. PT did NOTHING for me but TENS did. I forget the brand but they have them for home use and are sold in the drug store. I seriously recommend a second opinion and an MRI if you haven't had one. My post surgical pain was LESS than the pain I had pre surgery!
Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:28 AM
PT did nothing for my pain-and that was her question. I will have 6 weeks starting after my stitches come out on Friday-but PT alone would not solve the underlying problem causing the pain. After 3 years, injections and 18 weeks of PT surgery solved the problem!

Quoting Anonymous 3: If your muscles are weak, you'll have more pain. PT is the best for knees before and after surgery.

Quoting Isaacsmom913: I went thru 3 years of constant pain and am now recovering from knee surgery. PT did NOTHING for me but TENS did. I forget the brand but they have them for home use and are sold in the drug store. I seriously recommend a second opinion and an MRI if you haven't had one. My post surgical pain was LESS than the pain I had pre surgery!
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:38 AM

What is the problem with your knees?  If it's arthritis, then I recommend that you read up on deer/elk antler velvet capsules.  The ground up antler powder has glucosamine sulfate (what docs recommend for arthritis) as well as minerals, collagen and growth factors for healing inflammation and repairing cartilage.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:46 AM

You need to strengthen the Quads, Hamstrings and Glutes. Your quads are important b/c the stronger they are the mote they will take over and relieve your knee from lifting the weight. Which means less wear and tear on the joint. Your hamstrings and Glutes need to be strong for proper tracking of the patella (kneecap) and b/c if your quad is dominant and the others are weak you will get injured. You don't want one side of the body to be stronger than the other, they should be in balance. 

Start will body weight squats, lunges, step-ups, single leg squats to a chair and then stand back up with both legs (going down slowly and controlled on one leg, stand up with two until you are strong enough to do it all on one leg). 

Google VMO exercises and do those (wall sits and such). 

I have bad knees and I took up bodybuilding to make them healthy. Strengthening is what you need for bad knees. 

Also, I take this everyday and swear by it. My knees don't hurt or crunch anymore. 

https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-19462-tropical-oasis-joint-complete-premium-32-oz?site=google_base&utm_source=google&utm_medium=PLA&scid=scplp68645&sc_intid=68645&utm_campaign=SC_Shopping_Campaign_Low_Margin&gclid=CMPI85m3pNQCFQkzaQodOoYA1w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Tastes awful but is worth it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:16 AM
I know knee pain well. I've had 3 surgeries that started at 16. I will have a YKR in the fall. Bone on bone pain is intense but PT has done wonders, along with turmeric.

Quoting Isaacsmom913: PT did nothing for my pain-and that was her question. I will have 6 weeks starting after my stitches come out on Friday-but PT alone would not solve the underlying problem causing the pain. After 3 years, injections and 18 weeks of PT surgery solved the problem!

Quoting Anonymous 3: If your muscles are weak, you'll have more pain. PT is the best for knees before and after surgery.

Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:46 AM
You are lucky! TENS was the only thing that blocked mine :(. Ortho pain is no joke, and like you being young many docs don't believe the severity OF said bone pain.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I know knee pain well. I've had 3 surgeries that started at 16. I will have a YKR in the fall. Bone on bone pain is intense but PT has done wonders, along with turmeric.

Quoting Isaacsmom913: PT did nothing for my pain-and that was her question. I will have 6 weeks starting after my stitches come out on Friday-but PT alone would not solve the underlying problem causing the pain. After 3 years, injections and 18 weeks of PT surgery solved the problem!

LeftieX
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:51 AM
Do you have a pool you can use? Just walking back and forth across the pool is great for knee PT.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)