Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you buy a house in anticipation of your relative moving in?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 62 Replies

Mobile Photo

This is called a home within a home.

If the picture is too small what it shows is a home that includes a kitchen/dining room/living room along with a full bath, garage, bedroom, and laundry room that is connected to a home that has 3 bedrooms 2 baths and a full kitchen, laundry room, and 2 car garage.

My grandmother no longer wants to live alone and my husband and I are looking to buy a home and this sounds like a good deal. It's within our price range in the neighborhood we want, and includes everything we want in the main house and would allow my grandmother to live independently for as long as she can.

So would you buy a home like this?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:17 AM
Only if the area allows renting the extra space if not needed for family members.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:17 AM
I guess it would depend on the circumstances. I don't have any relatives I'd be interested in taking in.
Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:18 AM
Not for the sole purpose of having a relative move in
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:22 AM
That is super cool. I'd buy that house so my son could move into the private area. He would love it so much. He's 16 and a good kid.
ayacocca
by Lioness on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this
If you & your husband are on the same page, I say go for it.. If you aren't however, no.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:24 AM
We are, I've talked to him a great deal about this and he's always been ok with it.

Quoting ayacocca: If you & your husband are on the same page, I say go for it.. If you aren't however, no.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:24 AM

Sure... if it enabled us to live our lives as we wished as well as our relative.. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Marivilla
by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:26 AM
We're looking at houses that have in law suites just in case. I definitely don't anticipate anyone moving in anytime soon
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:27 AM
I wouldn't want any of our family living in the same home. But we're thinking of building a smaller home on whatever property we buy so they could live there
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:29 AM
Yes it looks great.

And if another family member needs it after your grandmother it would be very helpful.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)