Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can NOT believe this mother!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 170 Replies
1 mom liked this
My 15 year old daughter is in 9th grade. She is a straight A student, honors classes, on the school soccer and track team, active in girl scouts, just an all around good, responsible young lady. In the fall, she was asked out by a classmate, and we agreed she could date him. She had the same rules all of our children had, group dates only, no unsupervised time, and if she broke any rules with him or because of him, no dating for 6 months (anyone, not just this boy).
Well, second to last week of school, and they get busted. The school has a very strict no PDA policy, and they were holding hands in the hallway, which is in strict violation of the policy. They both got one day in school suspension. When she came home and shared this news with us, we handed down a month of grounding and no dating for 6 months, per the rules. DD is pissed, but she actually agreed she deserved it and she understands what she did wrong.

The issue is the boy's mother. She called me yesterday, asking why I was making my daughter break up with her son, did I think he was a bad influence. I explained our pre-existing rules for dating. This mother proceeded to call me stupid, controlling, and an idiot, and then said she didn't blame the kids at all, that the rule the school had was ridiculous.

So not only does she want to tell me how to parent, she thinks it's perfectly acceptable to break rules you don't agree with. Somehow, I don't think we're going to allow our daughter to date this boy again. And before you ask, the boy's parents are divorced and until now we've only met with and dealt with the father, who has always seemed like a decent enough guy.

Edit
The issue is NOT the handholding. I agree the school's rule is pretty ridiculous, but they have had issues with sexual harassment in the past, so I understand where they are coming from. the issue I have is that we have rules for our kids, the no dating for six months if you get into ANY kind of trouble, and we have a standard of 1 month grounding if you receive in school suspension. And yes, my daughter knew what the rules were, and knew what the schools rule was.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:21 AM
4 moms liked this
Its serious overkill for handholding
ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:21 AM

Quoting Talkingheads: Its serious overkill for handholding

Marivilla
by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:22 AM
That hand holding rule is kindnof ridiculous....
cybcm
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:22 AM
8 moms liked this
She has to break up with her boyfriend because she got busted holding his hand?

That's kind of insane.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:22 AM
This

ivegotrhythm
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm kind of agreeing with the boys mother here.

I mean, holding hands at 15? God forbid.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I think the school's rule is ridiculous as well as yours... that said, you have your rules and your kids have to abide by them. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:24 AM
It's not the handholding. It's the blatant disregard for the rules. She knew the rules, and broke them. That's the issue. We have pretty standard rules for all our kids, and ISS is a month of grounding.

ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  The OP does seem controlling 

Quoting cybcm: She has to break up with her boyfriend because she got busted holding his hand? That's kind of insane.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:27 AM
No, she has to break up with him because she's clearly not responsible enough to date if she's breaking rules with this boy.

Quoting cybcm: She has to break up with her boyfriend because she got busted holding his hand?

That's kind of insane.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)