Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stop using ADHD as an excuse!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
I was at a birthday party yesterday and one of the children started to act out. She was swearing, screaming in the other kids ears, and just not listening. Her grandma was the one who brought her, and the one who stormed out when this girl was firmly corrected by another family member.
This little girl is 8, so she knows better. Every time she acts out, her grandma defends her, and sheilds her with her diagnosis of ADHD. My girls don't want to play with her because of the way she acts. I have talked to her grandma about this, and got no where.
What would you do?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:47 AM
That's just poor parenting, not adhd. My 9 year old with adhd knows to not behave that way.
ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:47 AM

not invite the girl to anything else. i wouldn't force my kids to friends with her either. i dont think there is anything else you can do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:48 AM

nothing....not my kid, not my circus

i'm sure your kids have other kids to play with besides her, don't they?

AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:49 AM

Ask them to leave.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:50 AM
My son has it but discipline still works
belle2780
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:50 AM
Was she coming off her med or didn't receive meds, I know my 9 year old can have an attitude if his med is wearing off, he didn't get them or if he has certain dyes or too much sugar. However he knows not to be cursing and screaming in people's ears. I wouldn't get mad though if a family member corrected him if for some reason I was unable to do so at the time.
mjande4
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:51 AM

I wouldn't invite the girl to anymore parties/get togethers and leave it at that. Poorly behaved kids begin to reap what their parents, or lack of parenting, have sowed around this age. ADHD may contribute to poor impulse control, but a lack of boundaries is the cause for social ingrates.

lexasmommy411
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:51 AM
kids with adhd need boundries just like everyone else. I hate when my sister does that, my nephew does anything, she automatically assumes his medication isn't worked. They've changed his meds so many times it's insane. He's 12 and his favorite phrase is "my meds aren't working" to justify when he acts like a little asshole. I love him, but I seriously have a hard time being around him. And what burns me up worse is that they are harder on his 15 and 7 year old brothers who are both autistic.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:52 AM
I totally agree. I know it's not my job to "fix" the situation, but it being family, I feel like something should be said. She is doing a huge disservice to her granddaughter.

Quoting Anonymous 2: That's just poor parenting, not adhd. My 9 year old with adhd knows to not behave that way.
ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:52 AM

Let it go.  It is not your place to talk to the grandma about it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)