Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family support

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
If it wasn't for my husband's family, my daughter wouldn't know what family support is.

She recently graduated and didn't get so much as a congratulations from her grandparents, aunts nor cousins on my side. These people didn't understand what it meant when I received my doctorate degree. Wow, like this stuff happens everyday in our family. I don't know why I am surprised.

I think I am mostly disappointed because I have been supportive of my nieces and nephews. I have traveled to show my support. It's like being slapped in the face.

I know this is not the story of many of you, you have great families that come out in numbers when the children in your family meet their academic achievements.

I don't understand the people in my family. I never will.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:07 AM

did you have a grad party for her? if you invited your family and they still didn't acknowledge it in any way, yeah, that's pretty freaking rude!

i don't have supportive family either..not on my husband's side either. however, if i invited my husband's parents, they would at least send my kids a card i think. i'm sorry your family sucks! i understand!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:15 AM
No, today we are celebrating with my husband's family after our nephew's graduation ceremony. We planned it that way.

My family are all in another state. So I don't expect them to travel like I do,but a telephone call would suffice. She received nothing from them. No kind of acknowledgement whatsoever. It's amazing. My daughter sends cards and talks to them (grandparents) on the phone.

I'm just going to back off and leave them all alone. I'm tired of being disappointed by them.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

did you have a grad party for her? if you invited your family and they still didn't acknowledge it in any way, yeah, that's pretty freaking rude!

i don't have supportive family either..not on my husband's side either. however, if i invited my husband's parents, they would at least send my kids a card i think. i'm sorry your family sucks! i understand!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:17 AM
I never expect them to spend money because they are always complaining about their bills but a simple phone call, card?

Apparently, that's asking for too much as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:18 AM

do you think they do it on purpose to hurt you? i know that my own family did things on purpose to hurt me and withhold their love. but my husband's family are not doing it on purpose to hurt us when they don't acknowledge things. they just truly need reminders so if i feel like it, i call or email them and say hey, so and so's bday is coming up or hey, so and so is graduating, etc. 

but if you feel it's on purpose somehow, then yes, i would back off too. but if it's not on purpose, then i would remind them.

Quoting Anonymous 1: No, today we are celebrating with my husband's family after our nephew's graduation ceremony. We planned it that way. My family are all in another state. So I don't expect them to travel like I do,but a telephone call would suffice. She received nothing from them. No kind of acknowledgement whatsoever. It's amazing. My daughter sends cards and talks to them (grandparents) on the phone. I'm just going to back off and leave them all alone. I'm tired of being disappointed by them.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:20 AM

I never got support from my mother's side either but my dad's side has always been a blessing growing up.

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Having expectations is the mistake here.

LeftieX
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:24 AM
I have to agree with this. They've shown you what to expect from them. It's time to accept it and let go.

Quoting corticosteroid:

Having expectations is the mistake here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
That's a good point. I never looked at it like that before.

My parents are just rude and don't know any better. Their upbringings dictate their behavior.

My sisters and their families are all selfish. So it's on purpose. They always feel entitled, like you owe it to them to give them something. If you don't they will have their children calling you acting like they really want something besides money.

Thanks for helping me see things differently!

Quoting Anonymous 2:

do you think they do it on purpose to hurt you? i know that my own family did things on purpose to hurt me and withhold their love. but my husband's family are not doing it on purpose to hurt us when they don't acknowledge things. they just truly need reminders so if i feel like it, i call or email them and say hey, so and so's bday is coming up or hey, so and so is graduating, etc. 

but if you feel it's on purpose somehow, then yes, i would back off too. but if it's not on purpose, then i would remind them.

Quoting Anonymous 1: No, today we are celebrating with my husband's family after our nephew's graduation ceremony. We planned it that way.

My family are all in another state. So I don't expect them to travel like I do,but a telephone call would suffice. She received nothing from them. No kind of acknowledgement whatsoever. It's amazing. My daughter sends cards and talks to them (grandparents) on the phone.

I'm just going to back off and leave them all alone. I'm tired of being disappointed by them.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:19 PM
Yeah, it's a great feeling, right? Growing up, I do remember my aunts and uncles acknowledging birthdays, etc.

The support from my husband's family is a blessing for our family!

Quoting emarin77:

I never got support from my mother's side either but my dad's side has always been a blessing growing up.

hip2it
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:21 PM
My entire family came out for my nephews daycare grad last week. Nobody came out for my daughters awards ceremony later that same week.

I get it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)