Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have stopped inviting my SIL over and she isnt welcome in my home

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 87 Replies

I wont even go around her at all. 

She is a heavy smoker and I am asthmatic. Any time she comes over she has problems breathing. I have explained the situation to her and how it physically hurts and is hard to breathe when I am around her. 

She told me to stop being such a baby and she is a grown adult. 

So now I just avoid her at all costs. We host holidays at my house most of the time and she wont be allowed to come. I am sure it will cause issues in the future but it is what it is. 

My BIL is not happy about it but he understands. He has tried to get her to at least minimize it as much as possible 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:22 PM
Have her smoke outside or vape.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Your house your rules
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:24 PM
Does she actually smoke right around you or is it because of the way she smells?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:24 PM

I would never allow her or anyone to smoke in the house. However just being around her and the smell of it sets me off

Quoting Anonymous 2: Have her smoke outside or vape.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:24 PM

The way she smells. 

Quoting Anonymous 4: Does she actually smoke right around you or is it because of the way she smells?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:27 PM
Have her change when she comes in. I think it's partly phschosomatic on your part too. I'm an asthma sufferer and my DH smokes, but he does it outside or vapes. I rarely smell it. If you have your rescue inhaler is not that big of a deal.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I would never allow her or anyone to smoke in the house. However just being around her and the smell of it sets me off

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:28 PM

She isnt willing to do anything. It isnt. I have had reactions when I didnt even know she was there. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Have her change when she comes in. I think it's partly phschosomatic on your part too. I'm an asthma sufferer and my DH smokes, but he does it outside or vapes. I rarely smell it. If you have your rescue inhaler is not that big of a deal.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:29 PM
Then my advice is don't host the holidays dinners then. Don't complain when some else hosts and she's there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Your house, your rules. But unless she is actively smoking at the parties in front of you, I think that you're over-reacting. Do you go in public? Do you know she's not the only one in the world that smells like that? How do you survive?
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:32 PM
I'm not sure I buy that merely her smell sets off an asthma attack.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)