Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Knowingly exposing others to HIV should no longer be a felony, state Senate says

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 107 Replies

Knowingly exposing others to HIV should no longer be a felony, state Senate says

The Senate voted to no longer make it a felony for HIV-positive people to donate blood or semen without telling the blood bank they are infected. (Toby Talbot / Associated Press)
The Senate voted to no longer make it a felony for HIV-positive people to donate blood or semen without telling the blood bank they are infected. (Toby Talbot / Associated Press)

The state Senate on Wednesday voted to no longer make it a felony for someone infected with HIV to knowingly expose others to the disease by having unprotected sex without telling his or her partner about the infection.

The crime would be downgraded to a misdemeanor, and the bill would also apply to people who donate blood or semen without telling the blood or semen bank that they have acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS, or have tested positive for human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV, the precursor to AIDS.

The measure, which next goes to the Assembly for consideration, was introduced by Sen. Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco), who said it is unfair to make HIV/AIDS the only communicable disease given such harsh treatment by prosecutors.

“These laws are irrational and discriminatory,” Wiener told the Senate, adding that the current felony status is “creating an incentive not to be tested, because if you don’t know your status you can’t be guilty of a felony.”

The measure was widely opposed by Republican lawmakers including Sen. Joel Anderson of San Diego.  "If you intentionally transmit something that is fundamentally life-threatening to the victim, you should be charged and go to jail," he said.

Sen. Jeff Stone (R-Murrieta) said, “My friends, it’s not a gay issue. It’s a public health issue. We shouldn’t allow someone to play Russian roulette with other people’s lives.”

Sen. Richard Pan (D-Sacramento), a physician, voted for the bill and argued that it undermines public health to imprison those with HIV under the current law.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:06 PM

Catch THIS??

The Senate voted to no longer make it a felony for HIV-positive people to donate blood or semen without telling the blood bank they are infected

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:06 PM
Trump making America great again!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:07 PM

this has nothing to do with tRump

Quoting Anonymous 2: Trump making America great again!

Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this
My eyes twitching.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:08 PM
You sound like you want all infected people on their own island.
PrettyWings29
by Caribbean Queen on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:08 PM
Wtf
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:08 PM
Um.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Trump making America great again!
livinlife1622
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:08 PM
4 moms liked this

I disagree with this.  If a person has a communicable disease and knows about it they need to tell the place where they are donating blood or knowingly have unprotected sex with someone.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:09 PM

So, simply posting an article makes one sound  like that?

It's a PSA, idiot

Quoting Anonymous 3: You sound like you want all infected people on their own island.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:09 PM
Ugh WTF
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)