Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am paying for DD's 3rd degree

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 461 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was out to lunch with some ladies at work. I was talking about my DD and how she is going to school for her third bachelors degree. 

One of the newer girls said "What is wrong with her that she couldnt use her first two degrees" I was a little shocked. I explained to her that my DH and I told the kids we would pay for any degree they wanted. Schooling is so important even if it is just for knowledge and not a job/career. 

She said that it was weird. 

I dont think so at all. I myself have multiple degree as does DH. My DD graduated with her first degree about 10 years ago it was a BSN and she has been a nurse ever since. The second degree was in zoology and that was really because that is what she wanted to learn about. Now she is going for an anthropology degree. 

My other kids have more than one degree also. I dont see how it is a bad thing at all. I think it is great that they want to expand their knowledge. It is not like having another degree will ever hurt anything. 

ETA: She could easily pay for it herself. We see it as a great gift to give. I understand many wouldnt do that and that is fine but we have always valued education in our family and paying for it is something I have no problem doing 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:35 PM
14 moms liked this
Its stupid as hell for you to be paying for it. That's why its weird
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:36 PM
3 moms liked this

I disagree. I will never have a problem funding an education for my  kids. 

Quoting Talkingheads: Its stupid as hell for you to be paying for it. That's why its weird

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:36 PM
6 moms liked this
I'm all for people getting an education, but for you to continue to be paying for your obviously adult childrens' multiple degrees seems ridiculous. I couldn't imagine doing that as an adult, being in my parents' purse like that. Time to cut the strings.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:36 PM
20 moms liked this

Getting the degree is not strange..it's the fact that she is an adult and is not paying for her own degree. I would never allow my parents to pay for another degree for me. That is *my* responsibility as a functioning adult IMO. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

ThatDancerGirl
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:38 PM
I agree with you. Education is important.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:38 PM
5 moms liked this
I'd be annoyed if my kids went for impractical degrees like Zooology and Anthropology.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Okay. I am not. I think it is great that she wants to learn more

Quoting Anonymous 3: I'd be annoyed if my kids went for impractical degrees like Zooology and Anthropology.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:39 PM

We always had that deal with them. My kids have no problem with it either. They think it is great. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'm all for people getting an education, but for you to continue to be paying for your obviously adult childrens' multiple degrees seems ridiculous. I couldn't imagine doing that as an adult, being in my parents' purse like that. Time to cut the strings.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:40 PM

This is a deal we have always had with them. It is a gift to them. 

Quoting mcginnisc:

Getting the degree is not strange..it's the fact that she is an adult and is not paying for her own degree. I would never allow my parents to pay for another degree for me. That is *my* responsibility as a functioning adult IMO. 

ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:41 PM
3 moms liked this

the first one sure. the 2nd and 3rd no. unless it was a conitunation of the the first degree. going from Associates to bachalors to masters or whatever else there is.

but i dont care what you do with your kids or your money :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)