Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my cat is in surgery and so don't care

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies

My cat swallowed some fishing line that my son left on the floor. We have warned him numerous times not to do that. The line got all the way down to it's intestines but i didn't know it at the time. I tried pulling it out and it would not come so I rushed him to an emergency vet. I went alone. My husband said that if the cat needs surgery to just let the cat die. Bring it home and let it pass through its intestines. Problem with that is there are anchores on the line which is why I could not pull out the string. The x-ray confirmed. Vet says if you leave it there the string will rub back and forth and rip his intestines and cause him to bleed and die. Husband says don't do surgery. We have kids to feed and support. Funny thing is that he didnt think that way when last week he bought a $500 bike that we didn't need cause he already had a $500 bike sitting in his garage only 2 years old and nothing wrong with it. Paid with a credit card cause we don't have that kind of money. So at the vet I told my husband that I will pay anything for my cat to live. The bill is gonna be between $2000 - $3000. I dont care I love my cat. Husband would rather let it die. Says its just a cat. Whats your opinion? I gave him hell when he bought that $500 bike cause we didnt have the money and it is not needed. He says he is not giving me hell about the cat cause he wont do it. I said this is different. This is a cat. And he said no money spent is money spent. He is comparing a cat bill to a $500 bike. He had a choice ti buy the bike. I didnt have a choice with this cat like I wanted to spend that right now. Seriously. I'm not gonna let it die cause of my son's stupidity.  I told my husband that he is not caring about my feelings and he said that he is by not getting mad that I am spending that kind of money unlike me who got mad at him when he bought that $500 bike we don't need/ have money for.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 4, 2017 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
left.drowning
by Fix Me on Jun. 4, 2017 at 4:12 PM
Don't let it die if there is a high chance of survival
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 4:13 PM
6 moms liked this
I'd save the cat and lose the husband.
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Jun. 4, 2017 at 4:13 PM
I'm torn here and I'm a cat person. If it'd make it so you couldn't pay your bills and feed your family, I wouldn't do the surgery. Stupid fucking cat eating fishing line. But I'd also talk to the doctor about payment plans or look into Care credit and then start having your son work off the cost of the surgery.
Olioxenfree
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 4:14 PM
In my opinion, when you get an animal, you are taking full responsibility and agreeing to pay whatever is needed to keep the animal healthy.
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Jun. 4, 2017 at 4:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Sounds like the husband should be put to sleep.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

If the vet says that it can make it through surgery I'd do the same. 

I would be busting my sons' ass and he'd have to find a way to help pay the bill.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

My cat swallowed some fishing line that my son left on the floor. We have warned him numerous times not to do that. The line got all the way down to it's intestines but i didn't know it at the time. I tried pulling it out and it would not come so I rushed him to an emergency vet. I went alone. My husband said that if the cat needs surgery to just let the cat die. Bring it home and let it pass through its intestines. Problem with that is there are anchores on the line which is why I could not pull out the string. The x-ray confirmed. Vet says if you leave it there the string will rub back and forth and rip his intestines and cause him to bleed and die. Husband says don't do surgery. We have kids to feed and support. Funny thing is that he didnt think that way when last week he bought a $500 bike that we didn't need cause he already had a $500 bike sitting in his garage only 2 years old and nothing wrong with it. Paid with a credit card cause we don't have that kind of money. So at the vet I told my husband that I will pay anything for my cat to live. The bill is gonna be between $2000 - $3000. I dont care I love my cat. Husband would rather let it die. Says its just a cat. Whats your opinion?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 4:17 PM

I am with you on this. We spent about the same amount to save our cat who had a urinary obstruction and another $1000 on another cat who had a twisted stomach. I was asked by several people why i would spend that amount of money on cats instead of putting them down and that they "would never spend that much on an animal". Those fuckers got told off. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Selling the bikes should help with the bill. What a tosser. What an agonising way to die.
Hope your cat feels a bit better soon.
cupcake7734
by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 4:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Divorce the husband, keep the cat.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 4:17 PM
Who leaves fishing line with anchovies on the floor? Sounds gross. Idk what I'd do. I could save the cat but it would be coming from money for ds. He did it be could pay for it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)