Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love him but can't stand his dog

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 102 Replies
I've been with my SO for about two years now and we got a place together in March. He has a nine year old dog and I need some mature advice on how to handle this.

Prior to me he was with his ex for five or six years. The dog was their dog and they're both extreme dog people. She still posts pictures of the dog and asks mutual friends about how its doing. So to me it's not my pet, I have no bond beyond being generally kind to it. I've never owned a dog before so maybe I don't know how to approach the issue here but for the past month the dog howls or barks if we leave the house so basically we can't do anything. I work a lot and rarely have free time. I don't want to be chained to the house during my free time. Not only that but it gets fur everywhere and as soon as I sweep or mop the house is messy again.

The dog also got sick recently and I don't have the stomach to deal with it. I don't enjoy it constantly being around because it's literally always right up our ass. I don't want to hurt SO's feelings but I want to see if he's willing to give the dog to his ex.

I don't want to lose him and I understand I'm not a dog person and some people consider dogs family. Going into living together I didn't think it would be an issue but we center our life around this dog and the friends of mine who have dogs don't really live like this.

I don't want to lose SO and he doesn't want to lose me bit we need to reach a compromise.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:20 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:24 PM
Bump
quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

i would never ask someone to give up their pet..unless it was aggressive towards me or my child.sorry..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:30 PM
3 moms liked this
I wouldn't ask him unless you are prepared for him to tell you to go if you don't want the dog.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:31 PM
2 moms liked this
Become a dog person or move on. Dog people are always dog people, even if this dog passed he'd want another dog. If you can't handle that then you need to rethink the relationship, asking a person to get rid of someone they clearly love and value, someone there before you, is heartless.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Dog and wife missing reward for dog

Was a bumper sticker my dad had on his work van growing up! 😂 Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:33 PM
If it was a dog we raised together I think it would be different.

Quoting luckysevenwow: Become a dog person or move on. Dog people are always dog people, even if this dog passed he'd want another dog. If you can't handle that then you need to rethink the relationship, asking a person to get rid of someone they clearly love and value, someone there before you, is heartless.
K3412
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:33 PM
Are you willing to lose him if he doesn't want to give up the dog? Because that's the chance you are taking.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:34 PM
If he picked a dog over me then I'd leave, that says it all for me right there if that's what he chose.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I wouldn't ask him unless you are prepared for him to tell you to go if you don't want the dog.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:34 PM
You might lose him. I'm sorry but that's the truth. It sounds like he's a dog lover and you aren't.
Unless you can talk to him about his ex taking the dog. Tell him you notice she asks about the dog a lot- maybe she'd like the dog? Misses the dog?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)