Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So help me....I'm going to beat my brother today ** update for those who asked

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 109 Replies
We're doing Father's Day at my parents house today. My dad wanted to have a cookout / pool party type deal and if it's raining, they have enough room for everyone to be inside as well. Cool.

I have a sister and a brother. We're all grown adults. I'm 33, brother is 36 and sister is 30. I was the only one who even bothered to ask what my dad would like to have as far as food goes. He told me that he will get chicken breasts, some steaks, and then hotdogs (mainly for the kids cause we all have a few). He said "the rest of you can bring whatever you'd like."

So, I started a group text with my brother and sister and told them all of that, and added "so what is everyone bringing?"

With me and my sister, this is not a problem. WE don't even like the fact that my dad is providing all of the meat, but we can't talk him out of it. It's what he wants to do. However, with my brother, he's a freaking freeloader and my sister and I are completely tired of it. That's why I sent the text the way I did - not really giving an option to bring something or not. It was more of a "WHAT are you bringing".

So he did respond that they would bring baked beans. A couple bucks on a few cans but whatever. I don't care - it's better than what he normally does, which is nothing at all. He always expects everyone else to cater to him and his family - shows up for events and then eats and runs. They really did me in last time at Easter that was at my house, because the first people to show up were my nephew and my brother's "brother from another mother" who wasn't even invited. They never told anyone he was coming, didn't make sure we had enough food for him or his 3 dd's. Just showed up for the free meal.
Then my niece and nephew walked in and before they said hi, said "where's our presents". (Easter baskets)
Then they all left after dinner without even saying goodbye. I was furious.

So now, after he replied with the baked beans, I asked if his brother and girls were coming and if so, what were they bringing. His brother lives with him. He replied with his brothers phone # and said "you can ask him". I said isn't he with you to which he said "yeah but you can ask him yourself". I said I wasn't starting another group text and then he finally responded that yes they're coming but he doesn't know what he's bringing.
Which means he'll probably show up with nothing.
Then my brother proceeded to get pissed at me and said I was rude because I shouldn't tell people they need to bring stuff. If they want to, that's up to them.

You know what m-f'er?? Sister and I are tired of taking care of everything and our parents shouldn't have to take care of you (any of us) and all of our kids. We should be taking care of them. And it's FATHERS DAY. What the hell gives you the right to bring 4 other people to feed that weren't invited and aren't even a part of OUR family???

Ohhh this may not go well today...

***Update

So we went. Brother (or SIL) did bring a big crock pot of beans and his brother did bring 2 packages of cookies. All good! Nothing was really said about the texts.
My mom had been out of town and got home after the rest of us had eaten. Me, my sister and my mom were in the house getting her food warmed up and she started asking "oh, who brought the beans" or "who brought the cookies". We told her and she looked at me like I had 3 heads and said "how the hell did you pull that one off?" I laughed and said - tell ya later.
When it came time to clean up, they did nothing as usual, except stand around and try to take every piece of leftovers they could get their hands on. One of the things I brought was corn on the cob, which we had 3 ears left over. He tried to tell my sister to put it in a bag for him but my sister asked me if I wanted it. I did, because DS just got his braces off so he hasn't had corn in over 2 years. Eating it was the highlight of his day lol
So I said - yes, the boys will eat that tomorrow. It wasn't a fight or anything, but that just shows you how my brother is. Not sure why he thought he could take all the food home that everyone else brought... yeah, that's not a thing.
Then my mom got irritated because his kids never say hi or bye to them. They just come in and run off. At ages 9 and 11, they should know better. It's a respect thing. But again, nothing was said and no fights were had. It is what it is. I guess if we all can "let go" of most of the things we all think he does that are "rude", he can "let go" of the thing I did that he thought was rude (the text).
At least they did bring food to share. Baby steps I guess!

My dad was happy and there was no fights. The end. Lol
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2017 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
La_Vie_en_R0se
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
So tell him it is family only next time. He either needs to bring a dish and chip in, or not go. Just tell him your tired of his bullshit.
LClark1973
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 8:17 AM
2 moms liked this

I can see it now......sisters bury brothers in backyard.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 8:20 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much how it's going to go.

This has been going on far too long. No one has ever wanted to say anything because no one wanted to start drama. But my parents aren't getting any younger and they need to worry about themselves - not providing for my almost 40 year old brother and his family.

As far as I'm concerned, their "free ride" is over. There is absolutely no reason they can't chip in.

Quoting La_Vie_en_R0se: So tell him it is family only next time. He either needs to bring a dish and chip in, or not go. Just tell him your tired of his bullshit.
EvasMommy326
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 8:20 AM
I have a sister like that. We don't even bother including her in things because she's always crying "I don't have any money" but yet has on the latest fashions.

Keep cool! I'm sure your dad doesn't want drama on a day that should be about him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 8:23 AM
Ha. Not the backyard. That's too easy to find.

They do have a quarry in their town though...

Quoting LClark1973:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Your brother is an ass for sure but try to get through today for your dad and establish a rule at the next get to gather that you either chip in on the meal or you stay home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 8:25 AM
Yes, I know, I agree - I need to keep my mouth shut.

But where does it end?! 😕

I don't want to ruin my dad's day but man....what the heck.

Quoting EvasMommy326: I have a sister like that. We don't even bother including her in things because she's always crying "I don't have any money" but yet has on the latest fashions.

Keep cool! I'm sure your dad doesn't want drama on a day that should be about him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 8:28 AM
3 moms liked this
I've never understood getting upset over things like this. However we also generally have whoever is hosting also provides the food.... I couldn't imagine choosing this situation to get me so upset.
EvasMommy326
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 8:28 AM
A lot of times it doesn't 😩. Sucks I know.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yes, I know, I agree - I need to keep my mouth shut.

But where does it end?! 😕

I don't want to ruin my dad's day but man....what the heck.

Quoting EvasMommy326: I have a sister like that. We don't even bother including her in things because she's always crying "I don't have any money" but yet has on the latest fashions.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 8:28 AM
Lol yep!

Op, tell your "brother from another mother" to bring a shovel and see if he shows up, lol!

*JUST KIDDIGN I DO NOT CONDONE VIOLENCE!

Quoting LClark1973:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)