Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms who work and\or have careers

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:09 AM
  • 22 Replies
How long did it take you to get the hang of your job completely once you started working there? Especially if it was a field you had no experience in?
by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:10 AM
5 years to feel comfortable with my knowledge. Thank goodness for mentors!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:12 AM

All new jobs feel uncomfortable at first.

I too am about to start a new job, I hope to be comfortable within a month.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:13 AM
A year. I had a boss that I learned a ton from, he was a really good teacher (although a horrible boss otherwise)
Greenenvy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:13 AM
A couple of years to feel comfortable but I'm still learning a lot. There's a really steep learning curve in my field.
Rg41907
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:14 AM
I've been in my field for almost 15 years so I don't really remember exactly. Maybe 6 months give or take.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:14 AM

When i started accounting I had no experience and it took me 6 months to fully learn the end and outs of the job. People were patient with me because they did not want to look for someone else. The learning curve at a new job especially when you have never done that type of work before can take a while. Just have a good attitude and be willing to learn. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:14 AM
Took me about a month to feel comfortable after doing a complete change career wise. I am 6 months in now and very comfortable but still learning. It is a big company with literally hundreds of policies and practices so there is a huge learning curve.
smorgan865
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:15 AM
Maybe a month or so just to learn structure and procedure. I was completely capable of my duties right from the start.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:22 AM
I had plenty of experience in the field just not as the boss/business owner. I think it took a good year to really feel comfortable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:25 AM
I have been there since April 1. I would say about 6 weeks.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)