Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Women in the automotive industry

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
Any moms on here in the automotive industry? If so, what has your experience been like?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:41 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:50 AM
What area specifically? My husband works in the factory and I know from what he says, it's a rough environment no matter what gender you are. I know quite a few of the women in his department and from what I hear, my husband is one of the few men who treat them with respect.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:56 AM
My mom was a mechanic for a few years. She didn't get too much shit from the guys.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:59 AM

I am. I work for an auction. I do not sell cars retail. I love it. Guys are awesome to me.

Spam72
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:02 AM
My sister is the regional director of an auto parts store. She started out as a store manager, and she's a certified mechanic. At first people wouldn't want her help because she's a woman but eventually they figured out she knows her stuff.
When people would ask for a man, she never argued. She got the man, then he would ask her the tough questions since she was the most knowledgeable. Eventually the customers stopped wasting time and just asked her directly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:02 AM
I'm curious as well. I'd love to be a mechanic, but I'm pretty sure I'd get a bunch of sexist pigs who wouldn't want me to work on their car simply because I'm a woman.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:04 AM

I work as a receptionist at an auto shop. I answer the phones, deal with the customers, do all of the paperwork stuff that office/running a business entails, and I order the parts needed to fix each vehicle that comes in. I don't love it and I don't hate it, I bring in about 1900 a month.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:05 AM
We have a friend who's the GM of a luxury dealership. No college degree. Worked her way up. She did say it was tough at first but once she gained their respect it was fine. She gets asshole salesmen who don't take her seriously occasionally but they learn to take her seriously pretty quickly.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Way back I was a mechanic. I LOVED the job. When I quit my job, I had a lot of trouble finding one that would pay me what they would pay a guy with same experience. I worked in dealerships as a service advisor and loved that job. There I was paid same as a guy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:09 AM
My cousin is a mechanic. She likes it and has said on occasion she gets a man who treats her as though she can't do her job, but that they're few and far between.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)