Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to improve your credit score

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 53 Replies
BESIDES just paying off your debt.

I've paid off almost 12000 in the past year. I have about 1000 left. My credit score is at 660 and not going anywhere.

I just got a new credit card with a 3000 limit. I'm hoping that helps. Maybe in 6 months or so I'll add another one.

What else can I do to improve my score? I'm going to probably sell the vehicle I have a loan on soon, so I'm hoping that doesn't drop my score too much.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sahm.I.am
by iDeclareDebtWar on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:38 AM
I increased my score from 634 to 734 within about 7 months 2 yrs ago. You can pm me for more info.
throwing_shade
by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:40 AM

Take out a small secured loan
Get another credit card
Co-sign for someone you trust

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:41 AM
Thank you!

Quoting Sahm.I.am: I increased my score from 634 to 734 within about 7 months 2 yrs ago. You can pm me for more info.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:44 AM
Take out a small secured loan

I'd like to not have to pay interest to help my score improve but maybe it would be worth it?

Get another credit card

Should I wait 6 more months since I just got this new one before I do That? Or would now or 2 months from now be ok?

Don't trust anyone like that at the moment. I'll keep this idea in mind though. Thanks.

Quoting throwing_shade:

Take out a small secured loanGet another credit cardCo-sign for someone you trust

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm surprised you're at 660 having paid off 12K. My score went from 720 to 814 just from paying off cards and consolidating the debt into one loan. It'll all be gone in 2 years now.
throwing_shade
by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:47 AM

I just started to build my credit a couple of months ago. Taking out a secured loan of $1,000 through my bank is only costing me like $15 in the long run. 

As far as another credit card goes, it would depend entirely upon how you spend money and what your income is.

Are you comfortable with having 2?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Take out a small secured loan I'd like to not have to pay interest to help my score improve but maybe it would be worth it? Get another credit card Should I wait 6 more months since I just got this new one before I do That? Or would now or 2 months from now be ok? Co-sign for someone you trust Don't trust anyone like that at the moment. I'll keep this idea in mind though. Thanks.
Quoting throwing_shade:

Take out a small secured loanGet another credit cardCo-sign for someone you trust

supermama322
by Kaylee on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:47 AM

All I did was get a credit card. I went from no credit score to over 700 VERY quickly. Like under a year. My husband had bad credit and did the same. I used it for everything (that I would buy on debit anyways) and put that money aside when I used it. When I got my bill, I paid it in full. We were able to buy a house just over a year after starting the process

lunabella79
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:49 AM
If you don't use the new card, then it won't improve your score. You want to use it and pay if most of it (don't leave more than 30% on it).
Shadowgirl113
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:50 AM
A $250 secured loan at 6% interest (about average) paid back over 6 months will cost you about $8 and the loan origionation fee (about $8-10). Less then $20 to raise your score dramatically.

It takes 6 months of payment history to truely effect your score.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Take out a small secured loan

I'd like to not have to pay interest to help my score improve but maybe it would be worth it?

Get another credit card

Should I wait 6 more months since I just got this new one before I do That? Or would now or 2 months from now be ok?

Don't trust anyone like that at the moment. I'll keep this idea in mind though. Thanks.

Quoting throwing_shade:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:53 AM
I have two collection accounts for medical bills that I never paid. I've heard it doesn't really help to pay them off now, since they're already on my report? I've asked the creditor if they will remove them if I pay them and they've told me they'll just report that it's paid now and it will still show.

The 12000 was 3000 in a loan I paid off last August plus 9000 on a single credit card that had a 7300 limit.

I've had no late payments on anything in the past year, but before that things were a mess for about two years.

Congrats on your score!

Do you think adding an additional card will help me? If so, should I do it now or wait a few months?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'm surprised you're at 660 having paid off 12K. My score went from 720 to 814 just from paying off cards and consolidating the debt into one loan. It'll all be gone in 2 years now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)