Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Her dogs trump my kids?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies
My youngest brother will be moving to my city for college in the fall. When he was accepted we made a deal that he could live with me (I live 5 minutes from the college) and I would provide his meals, etc for the duration of his schooling if he would watch my kids when he wasn't in class (drop them at school about 20 minutes after I leave for work and pick them up if he was not in class at 3:30 and watch them until 5, plus school breaks) it would work out to maybe 2 hrs per day during the school year and the breaks would be 40 hrs/week. (Plus I get holidays off so subtract time for that as well). He agreed it was a damn good deal and we were both very excited (we get along great as well so bonus!) I would save about 600 a month during the school year and almost 2000 a month during the summer (he asked for 200/month spending money for the summer months, which I agreed to but said I would be willing to pay $500 a month if he felt that was more reasonable (plus I will pay to bring him to any activities I am taking the kids to if he would like to come) since it will be full time. He thought that $200 was fair since I will be covering all of his living expenses (his words))

All of a sudden my sister (who lives 30 minutes out of town) decides that she needs him to live with her to watch her dogs while she works night shift. She threw a huge fit and complained to my mom that it isn't fair to her if he lives here instead of there. Her proposition is that he live with her and pay her $300 per month for room and board, plus his own expenses and watch her dogs every night that she works (7 on 7 off) and do the yardwork twice a week. So instead of free (with three months of a small income and extra activities) she is charging him.
My mom is siding with my sister and is willing to pay the $300 per month! My brother will do what my mom says (because she is hell to deal with if you go against her wishes) but seriously wtf?!
I just can't believe that my sister's dogs (that she doesn't pay childcare costs for...) are so freaking important to my mom, or that her offer sounds even remotely better than mine!
Oh well I guess, just wanted to vent.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:17 PM
This is too long to read

Sorry
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:18 PM
Wow that’s ridiculous. Tell your mom to stay out of it.
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:19 PM
2 moms liked this
You're all adults and you're afraid of your mommy. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:20 PM
Brother is afraid of mom, that's why he won't go against her wishes.

Quoting Ted1242: You're all adults and you're afraid of your mommy. Lol
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:20 PM
How absurd.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Brother is afraid of mom, that's why he won't go against her wishes.

Quoting Ted1242: You're all adults and you're afraid of your mommy. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:20 PM
Your brother is just making life harder on himself. That sucks
Maime13
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I get that he's financially getting a better deal at your place (free food, free room and board and some spending money in the summer). However, if your Mom is paying for him to live at your sister's it's a better logistical deal for him. 

He isn't out any money and he has way more freedom to come and go as he pleases, far fewer responsiblity. I'd prefer the deal with your sister if I was him. He could get a part time job 20 hours a week if he wanted cash (the same amount of time he'd have been responsible for your children during the school year) and he doesn't have to take anyone's schedule or needs into consideration beyond being home by 9:30 or 10pm the 7 nights your sister is at work. He's a college kid. It makes sense to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
You all sound pathetic
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:21 PM
6 moms liked this
Lol 3 paragraphs is too much reading... man books must be impossible for you

Quoting Anonymous 2: This is too long to read

Sorry
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:21 PM
That's ridiculous! I don't blame you for being upset. I would tell your mom if she pulls this then he is not welcome during school and she can pay for his dorm
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)