Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Job troubles

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
I took a leave of absence from my job to finish college. Now I'm ready to come back, but under conditions. I'll try to make this as vague as possible to protect my identity.

So I worked a split shift working with SN children and at risk youth. Mornings with preschool and afternoons with older children. During the summer, I was with the only children during the day only. We were limited, very limited, when it came to discipline. I've been pushed, yelled at, hit, mocked, you get the picture. I had to break up physical fights between the older boys. They'd threaten the younger kids. At one point, a 9 year old boy made flyers for the kids saying how and when he will blow up the school, we work in an elementary school but we're not district employees, and that he was going to kill me and the four other teachers.

Long story short, our director told us boys will be boys and they just joke around like that. She said not to go to the district because she'd handle it. She didn't. And on top of out of control, violent tweens, I had to work directly with the most depression, negative person in history. She made it into a competition of which one of us had it worse. She went as far as saying that my dad dying from cancer, within months of being diagnosed, wasn't as bad as her mom having cancer and living for years and dying in her 80s.

The stress got to me so bad that I got sick with stomach and digestive issues and wound up needing surgery in March. My conditions for coming back was that I won't work with that program. There are several other programs that have positions opened. I'd glady work with the elementary children that is in the main center because there is control and strict rules and the teachers are allowed to enforce.

My director just texted me asking if I can work on Monday for the program I specifically said I will not work with. I'm having a hard time coming up with the wording to tell her I want to work, but I will not work that specific program. Any suggestions?

Extra info: I don't really have to work because DH makes enough for me to stay home. It's just nice to have two incomes.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:29 PM
Find a new job.
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:30 PM
Or say, as per our previous discussion, I will not be coming back to work that specific program, but I'm available to work xyz.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:30 PM
It's not worth it for me to work anywhere else during the summer due to child care costs while my kids are off for summer vacation. I get free child care.

Quoting Ted1242: Find a new job.
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:31 PM
You get free child care through that job?

Quoting Anonymous 1: It's not worth it for me to work anywhere else during the summer due to child care costs while my kids are off for summer vacation. I get free child care.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:31 PM
I talked with HR, not her. But I made it very clear that I will not work that program for various reasons.

Quoting Ted1242: Or say, as per our previous discussion, I will not be coming back to work that specific program, but I'm available to work xyz.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:32 PM
Yes. It's one perk. They have a summer camp.

Quoting Ted1242: You get free child care through that job?

Quoting Anonymous 1: It's not worth it for me to work anywhere else during the summer due to child care costs while my kids are off for summer vacation. I get free child care.

Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:32 PM
Then tell her what you and HR discussed.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I talked with HR, not her. But I made it very clear that I will not work that program for various reasons.

Quoting Ted1242: Or say, as per our previous discussion, I will not be coming back to work that specific program, but I'm available to work xyz.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:32 PM
Find a new job AND report to district. I wouldn't take things like that lightly.
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:32 PM
That's awesome.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yes. It's one perk. They have a summer camp.

Quoting Ted1242: You get free child care through that job?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:34 PM
I semt an email to the superintendent but I don't think anything happened with it because it was over a month after the incident when I found out the director swept it under the rug.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Find a new job AND report to district. I wouldn't take things like that lightly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)