Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I won't reduce the cost of rent for my sister and she says I am being unreasonable and selfish

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
OK, A few years ago we inherited my grandmothers house.

It's a 4bexroom/3.5nath house in a nice neighborhood, which is a much bigger house than we need, so we decided to rent out the other property.

We make enough money renting the house out that I was able to quit my part-time job and go back to school
The property rents for $2350/month, which is much less than I was making, but it allows us to pay our bills, life okay, and still save some

Well, our tenants moved out last month. The next day my sister called and asked if i would consider renting the house out to her family, but that they could only afford to pay $1500/month

I explained it it just wasn't possible, we needed the rental income to supplement my earnings while I was still in school, The lowest I could do would be $2000

She is freaking out, she says it's not fair that I inherited the place to begin with since she didn't get anything for my grandparents when they passed

I told her that it was our grandparents decision who they left the things to, I also reminded her that while they were alive they gave her thousands of dollars and paid her rent for her plenty of times.
I said that her family loves her, but she wasn't entitled to the help from them, and isn't entitled to any help for me for me either.

Now she's lost her shit, posted pictures of the text messages to Facebook, and is trying to turn everyone against us

Am I being unreasonable?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmandaK84
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:38 PM
No. Let her throw a tantrum, she is the one who will look ridiculous.
jant232000
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:38 PM
Its a rental property . rental properties are supposed to make money not loose money. You shouldn't have to drop out of school to makenher happy
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:39 PM
I think you were being gracious by lowering the rent $350. Although, I think your grandparents were shitty for not leaving her anything and giving you a house.
WWEwife
by Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:39 PM
She can get over it. You have bills to pay too.
Maddogsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:39 PM
Yes you are being reasonable. She's being an entitled brat.
EvasMommy326
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:41 PM
Family and business never mix anyway.
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:42 PM
She is being entitled. She figures since she is related to you and you received the property from mutual grandparents that you owe her. Which is untrue.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:42 PM
In the 10 years before they died my grandparents probably spent about $50,000 on my sister

They paid for two semesters in college, then she dropped out. They paid her rent multiple times when she couldn't hold a job

They paid for her groceries, they bought her a car, and she even took money from them ones that she said was for bills, and she ended up blowing on a vacation.

They did a lot for her, and while it may have been favoritism not leaving her anything I think she is silly to feel that she's entitled to any of their money

Quoting Anonymous 2: I think you were being gracious by lowering the rent $350. Although, I think your grandparents were shitty for not leaving her anything and giving you a house.
Maddogsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:43 PM
It's their money. They didn't owe her crap. Maybe she's a jerk.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I think you were being gracious by lowering the rent $350. Although, I think your grandparents were shitty for not leaving her anything and giving you a house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:44 PM

No and the rent on the property is $2,300.00 and you go therough the same vetting process as any other tenant.

I know some who have rented to family and it has worked out well.  But if they are asking for a reduction up front all you can look forward tois problems and a destruction of your property.

I am just warning you that if she is doing this now she will be a bad tenant and not at all worth any headache.

I would block her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)