Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kid with Social anxiety

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
This is an offshoot of other posts.

My 4 year old has a lot of anxiety around others.
We cant do birthday parties or any place that has a large number of children (playgrounds, pools).
He cries, begs to go home, will pitch a fit because he knows we will leave.

Any suggestions of what I can do to help him get more comfortable around other big groups of kids?

Fyi Malls, movies, hikes things like that are Ok because no one will approach him. It is whenever there is a possibility of other children approaching him.

I feel like the only thing I can do is MAKE him stay, because that IS what he wants, but so many people are so judgy that how can I do that?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redneckmama4
by Loree on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:14 PM
Does he not interact with children at all?
Geeez17
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:17 PM
Is he on any type of therapy? What's going to happen when he goes to school?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:17 PM
He is in a SN preschool with 6 other kids.
He has high functioning autism.
The teachers tell me that he plays alone, eats alone, and if lids come near him on the playgroubd or during playtime he moves away.

Quoting redneckmama4: Does he not interact with children at all?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:18 PM
He is in a small SN preschool.
He avoids other kids.

Quoting Geeez17: Is he on any type of therapy? What's going to happen when he goes to school?
ReaIisticbeauti
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:19 PM
Sometimes there really isn't a cure. My SO is the same way as an adult. I stop making him go To most social outings because I spent more time trying to help him enjoy himself than me having a good time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:24 PM
How did your SO do in school? I honestly think my child will not be able to attend school.
He pitches a fit when there are more then 12 kids around just to leave.

Quoting ReaIisticbeauti: Sometimes there really isn't a cure. My SO is the same way as an adult. I stop making him go To most social outings because I spent more time trying to help him enjoy himself than me having a good time.
JDMlover
by Summer&Lucille on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:25 PM
Have you tried play therapy? Ods did this, while it didn't cure the social anxiety; (he is an introvert like me) it did lessen things. That was a continued part of his IEP, he has managed to make lasting friendships.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:26 PM
I would make him stay, at least for a little while. I'd think he needs to be exposed and learn how to cope with situations that make him anxious. Is he in any type of therapy?

I was exactly like that as a kid, and I'm still like that today. My Mom never made me do anything that made me uncomfortable. If someone asked my name, she'd answer for me because she knew I was anxious. If I cried, we left.
ReaIisticbeauti
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:27 PM
He graduated but didn't pursue college. I don't know if he was in a special class or not because he refuse to answer any questions when I ask about him possibly having asperger or on the autism spectrum.

Quoting Anonymous 1: How did your SO do in school? I honestly think my child will not be able to attend school.
He pitches a fit when there are more then 12 kids around just to leave.

Quoting ReaIisticbeauti: Sometimes there really isn't a cure. My SO is the same way as an adult. I stop making him go To most social outings because I spent more time trying to help him enjoy himself than me having a good time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:28 PM
My kids doesn't have autism but she used to refuse to play at the playground if other kids were there and cried every damn day at the beginning of kindergarten.

If I were you I'd refuse to leave and he will stop crying about it. You can't force him to play with the other kids. Does he lack social skills or just have no interest in playing with other kids? My daughter was shy and kinda overly attached to me.

Bring bubbles or something he can give out to other kids at a playground.

It has to be hard and I hope you can figure something out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)