Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween/teens and summer

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:51 PM
  • 90 Replies
What are your tweens/teens doing this summer? I signed up dd14 at our ymca for a few weeks while I work. There are only about 10 other teens there even though there is room for 50 kids and the younger kids' camps are much more full. Are they all sitting at home on electronics? Did you sign them up for anything to keep them busy? It was so important to me that she stays active and outside with peers but wondering where are all her peer group? And always looking for more ideas. :)
by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Ds14 volunteered a week at a cub scout camp. And he's going to another camp for a week. Ds16 is doing a painting job at my office.
notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:53 PM
My 10 year old goes to daycamp, my 18 year old well she works
ReaIisticbeauti
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
We signed ds 14 up for the ymca as well and he went last year. There's no way we were going to allow him to sit on electronics all day or run the streets.
disneymom2two
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:55 PM
My teen is 18 and leaves tomorrow for 6 weeks in Spain. My 11 year old will be dancing 3 hours twice a week and taking swimming lessons twice a week. Wednesday's we're trying to keep aside to do family day trips. The other days she can hang out with her friends.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:55 PM
6 moms liked this

Sleeping late and hanging with friends.  They don't need to be kept busy.  My kids stay active all on their own without signing them up for things. 

peachesforme
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:56 PM
That's good. My dd has had a great time so far. She did the traditional camp then watersports and next week it's mountain biking camp. She wishes there were more people there though.

Quoting ReaIisticbeauti: We signed ds 14 up for the ymca as well and he went last year. There's no way we were going to allow him to sit on electronics all day or run the streets.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:59 PM
My 19 year old os in South Korea, 17 year old has 2 jobs and football, 15 year old likes to chill at home and hang with friends, 12 hear old babysits a couple days a week for a friends young kids and hangs with her friends at the pool. I would never send my teenagers to a daycare lol
peachesforme
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:00 PM
We dont live in a neighborhood where she can just run out the door and hang out with friends. We live on a residential street so there is so much traffic always. There are not a lot of teens on our street. I would have to dump her down the street in nearby neighborhoods but I dont want to do that to her friend's parents. And unsupervised 40 hrs a week even at that age is a recipe for trouble.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Sleeping late and hanging with friends.  They don't need to be kept busy.  My kids stay active all on their own without signing them up for things. 

Iguessiwasbad13
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:00 PM
2 moms liked this
They are free to do as they chose at 16 and 18. Oldest works and doesn't live st home. 16 year old isn't even out of school til Tuesday. Her school year is so packed I don't care if she does nothing but sits on her phone and sleeps all summer.
WildWonder
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:02 PM
Dd is 11 and just bounces between her friends houses and the pool. She hasn't been on her phone much at all aside from texting friends to see who is free.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)