Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sorry ex, that's a no.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 124 Replies
My ex wants our daughter for the 4th of July this year. It just so happened to have worked out for him that he will have his older kids. And his girlfriend will have her 3.

So since he has all of the older kid ex wants to take our DD to the fireworks too.

I told him I'm sorry, but no. This is my day.

The 4th is my favorite holiday. I *love* the fireworks. DD and I go all out every year with a big cookout. We invite friends. We wear special outfits. It's FUN.

When we were splitting up I asked ex for the 4th of July to be my day every year in the CO. Even if it's his custodial time otherwise. I get her from 9am on the day of the fireworks until 9am on the next day.

In return my ex gets every Halloween. That's HIS favorite holiday. And as much as I'd like to get to do this with her. I know he would like it more. So I happily gave it to him.

I did offer a compromise and invited ex and his family (gf and her kids included) to join us at our gathering but his girlfriend isn't big on it. Understandable. And I offered for him to have her from like 5-7 so they could have dinner together as long as she was home early enough to do some of our traditions too and fireworks with me. But he said no, he wants the fireworks this year.

So, sorry ex. It's not going to work. I'm not going to ask you for Halloween. You can let me enjoy my 4th without drama.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:48 PM
Why don't you ask kid what she wants to do
momoftwogirl55
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:49 PM
Is it in the court ordered custody order you get her on the 4th? If you give him her the 4th, do you get her on Halloween? It'd be a compromise.
Iguessiwasbad13
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:51 PM
It changes by year for us. He gets them the 4th vbyt only from 10-7 and we don't live in the same state so I don't think he's going to bother.
Iguessiwasbad13
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd never give up Halloween with my kids. Even my 18 year old goes out with us.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:51 PM
2 moms liked this

He gets his holiday, you get yours. His custody schedule for his other kids ia not your problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:53 PM
Yes you are right that could be a compromise. But I would have no way of ensuring he would follow through in October. And I don't trust him to.

Quoting momoftwogirl55: Is it in the court ordered custody order you get her on the 4th? If you give him her the 4th, do you get her on Halloween? It'd be a compromise.
bubbs0809
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:53 PM
I wouldn't change
My ex gets every thanksgiving
And I get every Christmas
That's just how it is
Iguessiwasbad13
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:54 PM
Who has primary custody?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yes you are right that could be a compromise. But I would have no way of ensuring he would follow through in October. And I don't trust him to.

Quoting momoftwogirl55: Is it in the court ordered custody order you get her on the 4th? If you give him her the 4th, do you get her on Halloween? It'd be a compromise.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:54 PM
Once isn't going to kill you. You are being selfish.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:54 PM
It is different every year for his other kids. And I used to try to plan it so we had them because I loved the day so much. But for me, it's every year.

Quoting Iguessiwasbad13: It changes by year for us. He gets them the 4th vbyt only from 10-7 and we don't live in the same state so I don't think he's going to bother.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)