Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad parenting?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies
1 mom liked this
Sister made a comment/questioned why I was doing my son's laundry. Son is 20 years old.

He got into a very good school and in the past two years has gotten straight A's. During the summer when he gets home he works full-time so he doesn't have to work as hard during the school year. So what's wrong with me doing his laundry when I do ours?

I think he is already proven that he's not a lazy bum. Is doing his own laundry during the summer all that important?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2017 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jun. 18, 2017 at 4:02 PM
My husband does my laundry. I see no issue with you doing your son's. 😝
Iguessiwasbad13
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2017 at 4:04 PM
As long as he can do his own laundry.
DezarooMama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2017 at 4:05 PM
I think it sound like a nice gesture
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2017 at 4:06 PM
I know he does his own laundry at school.

Quoting Iguessiwasbad13: As long as he can do his own laundry.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 18, 2017 at 4:07 PM
Sister needs to myob

Quoting Anonymous 1: Sister made a comment/questioned why I was doing my son's laundry. Son is 20 years old.

He got into a very good school and in the past two years has gotten straight A's. During the summer when he gets home he works full-time so he doesn't have to work as hard during the school year. So what's wrong with me doing his laundry when I do ours?

I think he is already proven that he's not a lazy bum. Is doing his own laundry during the summer all that important?
CheerioHolder
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2017 at 4:07 PM
You can do favors for anyone you'd like and it's none of your sister's business.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 18, 2017 at 4:09 PM
I don't see the problem. I have done my kid's laundry when they come home on the weekends. Usually, it folding their clothes after they're dry. The kids appreciate it.
Curlymom234
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2017 at 4:10 PM

That's nice of you. My mom helped me with my laundry at 21 when she felt like it. I was perfectly capable (and willing) to do my own. Plus isn't it easier on your water bill to combine loads?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 18, 2017 at 4:10 PM

Does he know how to do his own laundry? At some point he needs to learn how to balance work and school and basic household chores and responsibilities like his own laundry. If you don't mind doing it, I guess I don't see the issue. Just make sure he appreciates it and is not taking advantage of you. 

Saphira1207
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2017 at 4:12 PM

I got into a heated "discussion" with a former coworker about this once.

To say I learned a valuable lesson is an understatement, since I was your sister in the discussion.

If he's contributing to the house in other ways while he's there, then I don't see an issue with you doing his laundry.  If he's not ....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)