Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about this? (Another poor people get free stuff post...)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 545 Replies
The school district my kids are in got chromebooks for all the students about 2 years ago. Pretty much all their work starting in 3rd grade is only on the chromebooks. Kindergarteners thru 2nd grade get chromebooks too but they can't take them home and those grades still focus on written work.

The last day of school is the 24th. My 7th grader brought a letter home Friday saying that if I want her to keep her chromebook over the summer then it's a 20.00 fee. That's normal. At the bottom of the letter said that all low income families that do not have internet at home now qualify for the school to pay for internet at home for them. (And the 20.00 take home fee is waived).

Most families will benefit from this. We live in a low income district. I'm just wondering what you ladies think?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2017 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 18, 2017 at 7:29 PM
15 moms liked this
Use a library. That would piss me off. Internet isn't a necessity.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 18, 2017 at 7:30 PM
3 moms liked this

doesn't bother me

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 18, 2017 at 7:31 PM
13 moms liked this
It has zero impact on my life. Life is way too short to spend thinking about how low income people are getting handouts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 18, 2017 at 7:32 PM
73 moms liked this

As a country we need to start investing in people instead of corporations. We need to do whatever we can to make sure our kids have what they need to succeed. If that means free internet, then give them free internet.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2017 at 7:32 PM
11 moms liked this
I can't imagine the logistics of paying for internet for almost an entire district
fostermommy1
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2017 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's fine.  i work in a title I school and we are piloting allowing kids to check out chromebooks and hot spots for use at home.  A lot of our students do not have internet at home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 18, 2017 at 7:32 PM
34 moms liked this

It is now, Grandma.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Use a library. That would piss me off. Internet isn't a necessity.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 18, 2017 at 7:33 PM
9 moms liked this

I would be happy that the school district was doing what it could to help the children of lower income families access the tools they need for success. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 18, 2017 at 7:33 PM
6 moms liked this
Poors are given too much in this country. The end.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2017 at 7:34 PM
2 moms liked this
This. It actually doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I pay for my own internet and if my dd wants to bring her chromebook home for the summer I'll pay her fee.

Quoting Anonymous 4: It has zero impact on my life. Life is way too short to spend thinking about how low income people are getting handouts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)