Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preteen in bathroom stall with parent?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
A few days ago I was in the women's room at Wal-Mart changing my daughter's diaper when this woman and a girl I'm assuming was her daughter walk in. I'd estimate the girl at about 10, maybe 11, 12 would be a stretch. Girl comments on how cute my baby is, I say thanks, run of the mill stuff. But then I notice the girl follow her mom into the handicapped stall, and I can see her shoes (kid shoes) under the door facing the direction of the toilet while the mother does her business.

Now obviously in situations with developmental delays and such it's warranted, and I know you can't always tell but this girl seemed perfectly functional to me. Or at least capable of waiting by the sink, if her mom is worried about her being kidnapped waiting by the water fountain like a normal kid that age.

Before I get the inevitable questions - I noticed things because I couldn't help but pay attention once I noticed her follow the mother into the stall, because that seemed strange. If that makes me a creep then oh well.

Anyway, thoughts? Does that seem weird or inappropriate to anyone else?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeftieX
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:47 AM
Who cares?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:49 AM
No. My kid has never stopped coming in to the bathroom to ask me a question or tell me something she thinks I have to know right that second, lol, and she's 17.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:50 AM
Doesn't bother me...heck, today dd9 went into the bathroom at Subway with me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this
If we both gotta pee (my 10 or 8 year old niece) or I have the littles with me we all go in the stall.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:51 AM
That is very unusual. What I was thinking is that this girl may not have intellectual delays but rather some social, emotional or behavioral issues that make her a safety risk or run risk.
imafuswb
by ★Rainbow Brite★ on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Hell, I'm 31, on a road trip w/Mom, and just went into the single bathroom at the gas station with her, today. Why does it matter?
MissAndree
by Nosuchthing on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:52 AM
I don't think it's inappropriate. My dd walks in and talks to me while I'm using it or taking a shower.
HartFullofChaos
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:52 AM
No. My 10 year old will sometimes follow me in the stall.
monshine2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:53 AM
My DD9 does not go in the stall with me
MikeysMom22
Happy Black Friday All!! Advent will soon be here and the stores have us all believing the Christmas season is upon us!!! Don't get your self in a tangle!!
Yesterday at 11:29 AM
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

It's people like you that question what other people are doing in the bathroom that pretty much weird me out actually. She knew where her kid was, and that's the important thing when out and about.. keeping everyone safe and way from strangers that are looking at others in the restroom. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)