Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

White terrorist drives van into a group of Muslims in London

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 68 Replies

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/van-hits-muslims-after-night-prayers-w8phqvvrs

A man was killed and eight people were injured when a suspected terrorist drove a van into pedestrians near a mosque in north London.

A 48-year-old man was arrested after swerving into a group of Muslims who were leaving evening prayers shortly after midnight.

Two witnesses said that the driver got out of the vehicle after hitting about ten people and screamed that he wanted to “kill all Muslims”.

Theresa May said police were treating the attack, outside an Islamic community centre and close to Finsbury Park mosque, as a “potential terrorist incident”.

Bystanders wrestled him to the ground and pinned him down until police arrived. Footage posted to social media showed that the attacker was white with dark hair. He has been taken to hospital as a precaution and will undergo a mental health assessment, Scotland Yard said.

One video appeared to show a victim receiving CPR as another man was treated for a head injury as he sat on the road. Eight people were treated at the scene and taken to three hospitals in the capital. More than 60 paramedics attended and treated several other people with minor injuries.

Cynthia Vanzella, who observed the aftermath from her flat, said on Twitter: “Horrible to watch police officers doing cardiac massage at people on the floor, desperately trying to save them. I just hope they did.”

The prime minister is to chair an emergency meeting this morning. She said: “All my thoughts are with those who have been injured, their loved ones and the emergency services on the scene.”

Jeremy Corbyn, whose Islington North constituency includes Finsbury Park mosque, said on Twitter: “I’m totally shocked at the incident at Finsbury Park tonight.

“I’ve been in touch with the mosques, police and Islington council regarding the incident. My thoughts are with those and the community affected by this awful event.”

Police said there had been no reports of knife injuries or any other suspects, despite the claims of some witnesses.

Nonetheless, the incident carried echoes of the London Bridge attack a fortnight ago, when three terrorists drove a van into pedestrians before launching a knife rampage on foot. It followed a suicide bombing which killed 22 at Manchester Arena last month and another vehicle attack on Westminster Bridge in March.

Harun Khan, secretary-general of the MCB, said: “Shocked and outraged to hear a van has intentionally run over worshippers leaving #Ramadan night prayers on Seven Sisters Road #FinsburyPark.”

He described the incident as the “most violent manifestation to date” of Islamophobia and called for an urgent increase in security around mosques.

The community centre at the centre of the attack, Muslim Welfare House, is a short distance from Finsbury Park mosque, which was once a breeding ground for terrorists led by the hate preacher Abu Hamza. It was closed in 2003, after weapons were found in a police raid, and re-opened two years later under new management.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Princess_s21
by Sarah on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:25 AM
2 moms liked this
Yeah and I'm sure 'mental illness' will be the first thing mentioned, not terrorist.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:27 AM

Actually, it happened in London, and Theresa May of all people did say they were investigating it as a potential terrorist incident. I about fell out of my chair when I read that she was acknowlidging it as one.

Quoting Princess_s21: Yeah and I'm sure 'mental illness' will be the first thing mentioned, not terrorist.

angkorsaway
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:31 AM

Just saw it. Damn. 

Princess_s21
by Sarah on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:32 AM
Yeah I know. Vast majority won't though.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Actually, it happened in London, and Theresa May of all people did say they were investigating it as a potential terrorist incident. I about fell out of my chair when I read that she was acknowlidging it as one.

Quoting Princess_s21: Yeah and I'm sure 'mental illness' will be the first thing mentioned, not terrorist.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:51 AM
1 mom liked this

If it was in America, nobody in the government would even breathe that word... Chump wouldn't even mention the attack itself, I bet. Too busy tweeting about mean journalists while everyone who's ever met him is busy looking for a lawyer.

Quoting Princess_s21: Yeah I know. Vast majority won't though.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:57 AM

Why wouldn't she?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:58 AM
But white people cant be terrorists...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:00 AM

She's a Tory, I wasn't sure the right was aware white peoples could even be terrorists.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Why wouldn't she?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:07 AM

You have a very blinkered view of European politics... Being a Tory doesn't make her racist. Nor stupid.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

She's a Tory, I wasn't sure the right was aware white peoples could even be terrorists.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Why wouldn't she?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't say she was racist, exactly. One can have certain prejudices without being overtly racist. Come now, tell me it's common for conservatives in Europe or anywhere else to admit that a white person targeting Muslims could be a terrorist attack, I need a laugh. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

You have a very blinkered view of European politics... Being a Tory doesn't make her racist. Nor stupid.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Why wouldn't she?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)