Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you've ever given up a pet...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies

What were your reason(s)? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Trixie_dahl
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:42 AM
Cat was a holy terror. Seriously had a cat who made its life mission to make everyone around it miserable. I'm getting a new kitten I hope will be tamer. It's playful and adorable. We gave that first cat to another home someone who had other cats since it interacted well but didn't like being an only child apparently. Considered getting another cat to play with it but my friend who had three of them that got on with it said she'd take it so I don't end up with two holy terrors lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:51 AM
We had an indoor cat we hated. The people we got her from lost their other cat and the kids wanted her back so bad we were happy to do that for them.
We adopted a dog that was nothing like they said. He would get in the garbage and jump the tallest fence. But the final straw was he would growl and snap at kids.
We had a dog who was miserable around our other dogs. She would pick fights and really needed to be an only dog. She went to my in-laws she knew very well and she was very happy there. We visited often.
That's about it. We don't make a habit of it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:52 AM
So what happens if the new cat is a terror?

Quoting Trixie_dahl: Cat was a holy terror. Seriously had a cat who made its life mission to make everyone around it miserable. I'm getting a new kitten I hope will be tamer. It's playful and adorable. We gave that first cat to another home someone who had other cats since it interacted well but didn't like being an only child apparently. Considered getting another cat to play with it but my friend who had three of them that got on with it said she'd take it so I don't end up with two holy terrors lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:57 AM
He *cat* was very stressed, and became very agressive to myself, my toddler, and our other cat. He was always kind of an ass, but it became too much when I was pregnant with my youngest. It was to the point anyone walking past him was going to be smacked and hissed at, then he started nipping at me randomly. My oldest never went hear him, he scared her too much.

The final straw I was carrying my newborn. To the kitchen, he ran up between my legs and started biting at my inner ankle. I tripped on him, caught myself on the high chair, broke the tray and nearly dropped the baby. That was it he had to go, he went to the pound that day.

We made sure they knew his issues, and we insured he found an appropriate placement. He is with a retired couple and doing great now. My other cat has relaxed, and stopped shedding bags of hair.

We had him from birth for about six years, I loved him dearly, but I'm glad for all if us, including him, that he is gone. If he had bit one of my kids I would have snapped his neck.

I'm a person who commits to an animal for life, he is the only pet I have ever had to re-home. Aggression can come up in any pet, and can be too risky in certain environments, where keeping them is a bad choice.
witch45
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:12 AM

Yes.  I had a miniature American Eskimo dog that I got as a puppy,  He was my baby for many years.  Then my daughter got pregnant and when she had her baby she lost so much blood that she couldn't take care of her son for a month.  So I took care of him and her.  I made sure to spend as much time with my dog as possible and get him to accept my grandson.  Well it got to the point where my dog was trying to hurt my grandson.  So we stuck him out in a dog pen with our older bigger dog and once in a while I would bring him in and see if things would get better, which it didn't.  I couldn't stand keeping him in the dog pen (because he was an inside dog) and realized I was going to have to find a better home for him.  My daughter worked with someone that wanted him and would devoted all her time to him, so because I loved him I gave him to her.  He was my baby but of course I had to choose my grandson.  One of the hardest decisions of my life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:41 AM
Yes but I never wanted to give her up. She was a French bulldog that I had for 2 years. DS and I were very attached to her.
I was going through a very messy break up. We had been together for almost 9 years and he went absolutely psycho when I kicked him out. To the point where I had to file legal eviction papers to get him out, he pulled a gun on my dad and the cops finally told ME that I had to leave my house for 5 days while he got his stuff out. And he completely gutted me. (Shocker)
I had to fight to get some things back but my dad convinced me that some things just weren't worth the argument. The stuff I did get back were only things that he agreed to give back. He wouldn't agree to give me back the dog. I had to let her go just to get the psycho out of my life. 😔
Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:45 AM
We had the sweetest jack russel terrier whom we took to the dog park and for walks daily! Then 18 months after she came home our son arrived. The later was a huge surprise or we would NEVER have gotten such an active dog first! Well one evening my husband was laying on the couch exhausted from a new baby and the poor puppy was so desperate to go out that she ended up peeing on the floor. At that moment my husband realized our inability to treat her as we had wasn't fair to her. A friends sister had said from day 1 if we couldn't keep her that she wanted her. So Bentley now lives on a huge farm where she and Harley (the original dog of the house) have run of the place. Of course we later found out she ate an entire couch...oops...but is still lived!
SummerDreaming
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:51 AM
Yes. We moved and couldn't take the dog with us. He went to a good home. Then a few years later when we found another house, we got another dog.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:54 AM
My daughter wants a cat and has been wanting one for years now. I just can't with a cat, though. They jump anywhere, do what they want. No, I'm not having it.

Quoting Anonymous 4: He *cat* was very stressed, and became very agressive to myself, my toddler, and our other cat. He was always kind of an ass, but it became too much when I was pregnant with my youngest. It was to the point anyone walking past him was going to be smacked and hissed at, then he started nipping at me randomly. My oldest never went hear him, he scared her too much.

The final straw I was carrying my newborn. To the kitchen, he ran up between my legs and started biting at my inner ankle. I tripped on him, caught myself on the high chair, broke the tray and nearly dropped the baby. That was it he had to go, he went to the pound that day.

We made sure they knew his issues, and we insured he found an appropriate placement. He is with a retired couple and doing great now. My other cat has relaxed, and stopped shedding bags of hair.

We had him from birth for about six years, I loved him dearly, but I'm glad for all if us, including him, that he is gone. If he had bit one of my kids I would have snapped his neck.

I'm a person who commits to an animal for life, he is the only pet I have ever had to re-home. Aggression can come up in any pet, and can be too risky in certain environments, where keeping them is a bad choice.
kcmama1010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:08 AM

i gave my mom my fish.

We moved 800 miles and i thought the stress of the long drive and cold (it was january) would probally kill them so i gave them to my mom because anytime she would be at my place she was always making comments about my fish.

She was so excited when we called her asking if she wanted them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)