Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

$50 an hour! Help!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I am desperately seeking child care for a single day while my family is on vaction to Orlando Florida.

My child is has autism and is nonverbal.

I have signed up for care.com and sitter city which has been absolutely, no help.
I posted that I would pay $50 an hour for a qualified sitter.
I recieved 185 replies in less than an hour but none that had any experience with special needs children.

Please help, I am unable to bring any one else to help. I need to find a qualified person.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 6:33 AM
Replies (31-39):
GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:30 AM

I have a Therapist that helps with my Autistic kids.. She'll even baby sit.. Why don't you get a hold of a Therapist instead of just a babysitter for the day.. That way, they can work with your child as well as babysit. 

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:31 AM
I can understand that.
Usually these are closed Facebook groups.
But you can still ask without disclosing his or her situation.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Good Idea, but for safety reasons, I don't disclose my child's situation on social media.

It has made many SN children a taget in the past.

Quoting iamcafemom83: Can you try special needs groups on Facebook for the Orlando area?
They might be able to help/guide you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:35 AM
Good Idea, My child does have a therapist at home.
But it's very hard to find a good therapist with an open schedule.

Quoting GOBryan:

I have a Therapist that helps with my Autistic kids.. She'll even baby sit.. Why don't you get a hold of a Therapist instead of just a babysitter for the day.. That way, they can work with your child as well as babysit. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:37 AM
Thank you, I will look into it.

Quoting iamcafemom83: I can understand that.
Usually these are closed Facebook groups.
But you can still ask without disclosing his or her situation.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Good Idea, but for safety reasons, I don't disclose my child's situation on social media.

It has made many SN children a taget in the past.

Quoting iamcafemom83: Can you try special needs groups on Facebook for the Orlando area?
They might be able to help/guide you.
GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:40 AM

Many therapists tend to be available during the day since so many don't begin until kids are out of school. No school now so they do tend to switch their hours to fill in the mornings but you will likely be able to find one willing for $50. an hour.. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Good Idea, My child does have a therapist at home. But it's very hard to find a good therapist with an open schedule.
Quoting GOBryan:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:54 AM
My child's therapist actually works for their school which is year round.

Do you think $50 isn't enough? This is the first time I have had to pay out of pocket.
I got the idea of $50 an hour off the care.com site.

Quoting GOBryan:

Many therapists tend to be available during the day since so many don't begin until kids are out of school. No school now so they do tend to switch their hours to fill in the mornings but you will likely be able to find one willing for $50. an hour.. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Good Idea, My child does have a therapist at home.
But it's very hard to find a good therapist with an open schedule.

Quoting GOBryan:

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:57 AM

I'm sure you can find someone for that price. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: My child's therapist actually works for their school which is year round. Do you think $50 isn't enough? This is the first time I have had to pay out of pocket. I got the idea of $50 an hour off the care.com site.
Quoting GOBryan:

Quoting Anonymous 1: Good Idea, My child does have a therapist at home. But it's very hard to find a good therapist with an open schedule.
Quoting GOBryan:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:00 AM
What an excellent idea

Quoting Verrine:

Search for the colleges around that area and email the education departments. It's in between semesters but there are likely special ed teaching students who could help.

UpstateAnnette
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:19 PM

Yes, so DO the search in the Orlando area, there must be an autism clinic there. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't need someone in my area, I need someone in Orlando Florida.
Quoting Anonymous 6:

Research autism services in that area, you may be able to find a specialized school or clinic, perhaps one of the teachers or teacher's aides would be  open to earning some extra money.

Annette(40)Dan(hubby) Rosalynd(7/06)Jeremy(3/08) Isaac(3/10)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)