Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like crap and will probably lose my job

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

My period has become unbearable. The week before my face explodes in acne and I gain 10 pounds. The weight gain has forced me to create a "period drawer" that I fill with clothes to use during that time. Nothing else fits.

When I finally get my period it's beyond heavy, when I sit on the toilet the blood just gushes out. I had to start buying and using ultra tampons instead of super plus and I have to wear a huge pad to boot. I have both of those filled every few hours. At night I have to get up at least twice to change myself or the bed will look like a murder scene. 

Then comes the cramping, on a scale of 1-10 it's a steady 8 for a few days straight. Nothing helps to ease the pain, it is a constant thing that makes me wish for death or for someone to just gut me and end this. My skin turns a grayish color, I sweat from being in pain, I become nauseous and dizzy. No position helps, I have trouble sleeping, it's a circle of pain all around my middle from front to back. My hips feel like a heavy weight hanging off the end of my spine.

I've been throwing up and dealing with diarrhea since yesterday, today I called out of work. My boss is going to be fucking pissed but I don't know what else to do, I can't do my job like this. I've seen doctors, this is what periods are like for the women in my family. As we age we start growing fibroids, they're non-cancerous but cause immense amounts of pain and heavy bleeding. We deal until we can't anymore and then everyone "doctor shops" until they can find one who will give them a hysterectomy. My mom tried having an ablation 1st, my grandma had her fibroids burned off, they grew back and both ended up needing the hysterectomy. I'm only 35, I'm not sure if I should have one yet. My mom did and ended up having a prolapse, her bladder came out of her vagina. That terrifies me.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:21 AM

I am sorry you feel so miserable during your period. You say you've seen doctors, but there must be a doctor out there than can help. Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:22 AM

I feel for you. My sister is like this. The doctor finally just gave up due to her constant cysts and decided that her uterus needed to come out. She's 36.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:23 AM
I'm sorry you are going through that. I would keep looking for a doctor who will help. Beyond your job, you shouldn't have to feel like that.
paigea
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:23 AM

I am so sorry.  I had heavy painful periods and yours sound worse!  I took enough painkillers to deal with the pain, and tried everything else I found recommended like exercise, etc.  I did manage to go to work, but a super tampon and thick pad would last me until a break.

Take care.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:24 AM

If you are already 35, and have finished having your children, find a doctor who is willing to do a hysterectomy.  I'm sorry you're going through this.

bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:29 AM
Do you start taking pain meds at the first symptoms of a period starting and keep taking them every 3 hours (alternating meds) around the clock at the highest safest dose? I found that 800 mg ibuprofen every 6 hours kept me pain free but you can take Tylenol at the 3 hour mark.

Also the weight gain is mostly water, cut out salt and drink more water plus get a mild otc diuretic.
Rhodin
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:31 AM
Start doctor shopping now. Even if you don't want the surgery now, these things take time.

Also, my mom was super irregular, and the 36+ day cycles were very heavy. She used to use Depends, which are more like pull-ups than diapers these days. She rode it out to menopause.
GOBryan
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:33 AM

My daughter is 24 and has bad & irregular periods. I started taking her to a friend that does Accupuncture and her periods seem to be stabilizing and less painful.  You might want to try Accupuncture or discuss it with a professional. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:33 AM

Yes, I've tried a myriad of different pain meds and diuretics, as of yet nothing helps. I already try to eat healthy and aside from my 1 cup of coffee in the morning all I drink is water. I've even tried booze and pot out of desperation.

Quoting bleumonster: Do you start taking pain meds at the first symptoms of a period starting and keep taking them every 3 hours (alternating meds) around the clock at the highest safest dose? I found that 800 mg ibuprofen every 6 hours kept me pain free but you can take Tylenol at the 3 hour mark. Also the weight gain is mostly water, cut out salt and drink more water plus get a mild otc diuretic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:35 AM

The only thing that helps my family is hysterectomy. My mom did have success with ablation. My cousin was 35 when she had her hysterectomy, so you are not too young. I just can't see living this way without relief.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)