Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's Not an Emergency

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:32 AM
  • 13 Replies

My mother fell on the escalator at Penn Station coming home from NY on Thursday.  My dad wants to take her to the emergency room this morning.  I strongly advised an urgent care and even told them which one has a Keurig in the waiting room and free snacks.  We're highly food motivated in my family.  SMDH that my family are being the idiots here.

by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this
ER would take longer and cost more and if she's gone this long, she doesn't need it. I always hated it when people came in with a problem that was days or weeks old lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I had to look at the dates...the time to visit the ER would have been on Thursday night, not Monday morning.

Titanium
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Hopefully the thought of good coffee will entice them to make the right decision!
MenopauseManiac
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:37 AM

Exactly.  I also pointed out that if she does need any hospital facilities (she's 78) the urgent care would send her by ambulance and she'd be seen a whole lot faster than a walk in this long after the fact.

Quoting bleumonster: ER would take longer and cost more and if she's gone this long, she doesn't need it. I always hated it when people came in with a problem that was days or weeks old lol.

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Hopefully your mom is ok. And I agree with Urgent care being the answer.
MenopauseManiac
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:39 AM

Right.  It's kinda pathetic that I know the best urgent care around.  But it certainly is handy.

Quoting Titanium: Hopefully the thought of good coffee will entice them to make the right decision!

IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Do they think something is broken or going on internally? I don't know about all Urgent Care facilities, but there are three here and NONE of them have an xray machine, so they send you to the ER anyway, so to save myself the $100 copay at Urgent Care if I know an Xray will be ordered, I go straight to the ER.

Now, on a Monday, if I thought it was a broken bone, I'd go to the doctor first because they'd send orders to the hospital and it wouldn't be an ER visit.

MenopauseManiac
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:42 AM

No clue what they think it is.  We had dinner with them last night for Father's Day and she just seemed sore.  This is the first he's been able to get her to agree to go, so he wants to head off to ER.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Do they think something is broken or going on internally? I don't know about all Urgent Care facilities, but there are three here and NONE of them have an xray machine, so they send you to the ER anyway, so to save myself the $100 copay at Urgent Care if I know an Xray will be ordered, I go straight to the ER.

Now, on a Monday, if I thought it was a broken bone, I'd go to the doctor first because they'd send orders to the hospital and it wouldn't be an ER visit.

Titanium
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I love our local urgent care. No long waiting times because everyone else went to the ER lol. They have a lab and radiology department but no Keurig or snacks. Sigh.

Quoting MenopauseManiac:

Right.  It's kinda pathetic that I know the best urgent care around.  But it certainly is handy.

Quoting Titanium: Hopefully the thought of good coffee will entice them to make the right decision!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:44 AM
Fuck urgent care.
He needs to take her to the ER. You need to keep your mouth shut.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)