Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gastric bypass

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

Any women here ever had this surgery? What was your experience?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:49 AM
No, it's not worth the hell of recovery. I've had a couple of friends do it and it was months of throwing food back up after only a few bites, food limitations and skin literally hanging off. But here's a bump, there's a few mamas here that have had it done.
This_Lady_KK
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:51 AM

I have one friend who has had it done. My brother and his wife also just had it done. Tons of recovery, special diet, etc. but totally worth it as far as I can tell.

3gr8tKids
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not a fan of the procedure. it doesn't resolve the internal conflict and the reasons behind the massive weight issues. The problems will just manifest in some other area of your life where a quick fix surgery wont help you. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:55 AM

Did they have the skin removal surgery?

Quoting Anonymous 2: No, it's not worth the hell of recovery. I've had a couple of friends do it and it was months of throwing food back up after only a few bites, food limitations and skin literally hanging off. But here's a bump, there's a few mamas here that have had it done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:03 PM
Not yet. Insurance won't cover the removal so they're saving up.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Did they have the skin removal surgery?

Quoting Anonymous 2: No, it's not worth the hell of recovery. I've had a couple of friends do it and it was months of throwing food back up after only a few bites, food limitations and skin literally hanging off. But here's a bump, there's a few mamas here that have had it done.

Trouser.Mouse
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:40 PM
I've had it. My recovery was easy. Best decision I've made in my life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:47 PM

My aunt got it and is slowly eating herself to death again. She looks ghastly. Idk, that's the only person close to me who has had it. It doesn't seem like anything to write home about and was a complete waste in her case considering my uncle paid for it out of pocket. :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:49 PM
I had the sleeve. Get the full bypass because I am going in for revision due to some issues. Today is a bad stomach day to say the least. I have gastraparises which was meh before surgery I just avoided the foods that irritated it - mostly steak etc. Now the only protein I can stomach without being miserable is eggs and shrimp. Also ricotta cheese. That is it. I can't have any un cooked veggies. I can stomach raw fruit either like strawberries, blue berries or anything else. Forget about overly sweet or stringy like pineapples, oranges or watermelon. I still want to lose 35 lbs but have to have carbs sometimes to help the stomach not feel like it is being ripped out of me. I eat Gluten free also.

I see a new surgeon July 6th and will start the process. I miss salads etc.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:51 PM
My mom had it done years ago and it was rough on her and me( I took care of her during recovery), but my sister in law did it two years ago and it was such a world of difference. She stuck to what the dr told her to do and she works out a lot. Yea she has some skin that is sagging but nothing like my mom!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:57 PM
My cousin has it done. She lost a lot of weight, then gained it all back plus 40.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)