Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What age would you allow it?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:13 PM
  • 34 Replies

Lets say that you live in a 3 bedroom house in a small city and you have 3 kids of the same gender. Your family or in laws own the 2 bedroom 1 bath home directly next door to you (as in could be from door to door in 30 secs). The home is vacant and your kids are growing. One of the kids asks to move into the other house because he/she wants privacy everyone is tired of sharing a room.

At what age would you allow this to happen? What would be your rules regarding this?

by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't allow that until they were 18 and no longer a minor.
hart57
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:18 PM
By next store - across the street or beside you?

Maybe let her set up a hang out space for friends and studying. But no over nights unless I trusted them. So it's really not an age factor for me but rather a trust. Trust of my child to do the right thing at all times (no sneaking in bf/gf) and trust of my neighborhood that he or she would be safe at night.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:18 PM
Whatever age they asked.

even if that was age 5.
This_Lady_KK
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:18 PM

MysticLove
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:20 PM

Right beside. Small yards so very close.

Quoting hart57: By next store - across the street or beside you? Maybe let her set up a hang out space for friends and studying. But no over nights unless I trusted them. So it's really not an age factor for me but rather a trust. Trust of my child to do the right thing at all times (no sneaking in bf/gf) and trust of my neighborhood that he or she would be safe at night.

MissTuree
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM
Probably about 15. Same as if I had a pool house. There would be security cameras and sensors on the doors and windows. I would know if all movement there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM
I'd let my 16 yr old do it. Actually, it's becoming clear to me that my 16 yr old would do really well on her own right now, maturity-wise.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM
I'm not sure I would allow it at all. I'm going to be one of those moms that gets empty nest syndrome so I'm in no hurry to let them leave before I absolutely have to. I guess if I were less uptight, and I were basing it on my own kids' maturity level, I would say 16.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM
It really would determine on the maturity level of the child, but I had imagined by around 1718 they would be trusted to stay in the house. I would just require that they pay any rent and bills on time and take care of the property. And obviously no crazy parties or in general being a disrespectful neighbor. I don't care if you're a stranger or a family member, be a good neighbor☺
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:23 PM
18 too much liability before then.
I may let them use the house in the day before that if they showed they were responsible enough.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)