Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thyroid cyst

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
Can they contain cancer? I was told I had a cyst on my thyroid it grown a good bit so I'm being sent to a ENT. Just wanting to know if I should expect a fine needle biopsy.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:58 PM
I went throught this last year. The majority of cysts are benign.

I did get a biopsy and it was benign. I was given the choice to leave it or remove it. It ended up going down its own and surgery was not needed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:08 PM
How did you get yours to go away? How long did you have it?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I went throught this last year. The majority of cysts are benign.

I did get a biopsy and it was benign. I was given the choice to leave it or remove it. It ended up going down its own and surgery was not needed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:13 PM
It did it on its own. It was about a month later. There's still a cyst there but it's very small. I get it checked every 6 months.

Quoting Anonymous 1: How did you get yours to go away? How long did you have it?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I went throught this last year. The majority of cysts are benign.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:19 PM
Mine started off small now it's big enough to see on the outside of my neck. It's hurting my throat and making me lose my voice. I feel like something is stuck in my throat. I'm having shooting pains that go in my left ear.

Quoting Anonymous 2: It did it on its own. It was about a month later. There's still a cyst there but it's very small. I get it checked every 6 months.

Quoting Anonymous 1: How did you get yours to go away? How long did you have it?

jd83
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:20 PM

If they referred you to an ENT, they will almost certainly do a fine needle aspiration of the cyst. Yes, they can contain cancer, although that's rare in a cyst. But, because of the rare cases that they do turn out to be cancerous, that's why biopsy is important. I look at a LOT of thyroid biopsies. The majority of them are negative, either cyst, goiter, or hashimotos thyroiditis. Some do end up being cancerous, but the vast majority are negative. Solid masses are much more likely to be cancerous than cystic masses. They will likely explain all of this at the procedure. If they do a FNA, it'll probably be several needle samples to make sure they get enough cells for a diagnosis.

handy0318
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:25 PM

What the others have said. I understand being concerned... of course  you are! But, most likely it will be benign.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:26 PM
Thank you so much! Just trying to know what to expect I've had this cyst since 2013 it's gotten big enough to bother my throat and making my voice change. I can't sleep because my left side is so sore. My blood test are fin TSH,T4,T3. I'm 22 years old and have no sex drive, gaining weight, extremely tired, losing my voice, and hair growth. I'm just so ready to have my life back.

Quoting jd83:

If they referred you to an ENT, they will almost certainly do a fine needle aspiration of the cyst. Yes, they can contain cancer, although that's rare in a cyst. But, because of the rare cases that they do turn out to be cancerous, that's why biopsy is important. I look at a LOT of thyroid biopsies. The majority of them are negative, either cyst, goiter, or hashimotos thyroiditis. Some do end up being cancerous, but the vast majority are negative. Solid masses are much more likely to be cancerous than cystic masses. They will likely explain all of this at the procedure. If they do a FNA, it'll probably be several needle samples to make sure they get enough cells for a diagnosis.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:29 PM
Thank you so much! I had a cyst on my right side of my neck so even thought if it being a cyst is nerve-wracking. This one is on my left sized kind of hoping I don't need surgery.

Quoting handy0318:

What the others have said. I understand being concerned... of course  you are! But, most likely it will be benign.

lapcounter
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:37 PM
It hurts like a SOB.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes it Does! I can't sleep my neck is just so sore.

Quoting lapcounter: It hurts like a SOB.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)