Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just bringing a carry on?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:53 PM
  • 35 Replies

We are visiting my husband's family in Florida for two weeks in a few weeks and I'm using my time in the hospital to get everything organized. With the cost of checking bags ($25 per bag), I would like to try just bringing carry-ons if we can make it work. Unfortunately, there is no direct flight from Albany to Palm Beach so we have one layover.

We have four children, who will be 7, 6, almost 4, and a one month old. My husband's stepgrandmother already has towels for them, wetsuits for the three older kids, their surfboards, skim boards, any sort of beach equipment, (first aid kits, sunscreen, etc), plus things like toothpaste, shampoo, etc. so we don't need to pack any of those. We also can use her washer and dryer, so we're trying to just bring a weeks worth of clothing. We just need to bring their clothing, bathing suits, shoes, books, and maybe a few toys for the younger two. 

We each get one carry on bag and one personal item (purse, small backpack, etc.). The older three each have a small suitcase that they are able to pull on their own. We figure we can pack all of our clothing in the carryon bags, the kids can each have a backpack with their things for the plane (books, small toys, etc.), I can have the diaper bag as my carry on, where I can pack my laptop for work, and my husband can have his work bag.

I have been looking at bassinets that fold up into diaper bags, so we won't have to bring a whole pack and play. I can bring a baby wrap and there is an older stroller there if I need it. We have mifolds for the two older kids and carseats there for the two younger kids.

Any experience taking a longer trip with just carry ons and multiple children? The baby will not have his own seat, does anyone know if he still gets a carry on? We are flying Delta.

Added: my husband says he did a test pack at home today and claims he got everything in the carry ons, by rolling all of the clothing, so we will see. Right now he has the babies clothing crammed in everyone elses suitcase, since he wouldn't be allowed his own carry on if he doesn't have a seat, but I am thinking of seeing if we can get him a seat now that I am reading more about the safety side of it. Just looking at my newborn, if we hit turbulence and he got hurt, I would never forgive myself. So we might have one more carryon to use. 

The kids have the smaller suitcase (in varying colors) that fits under their plane seat

by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:59 PM

How are you all getting around if you don't have a carseat? I mean if family picks you up it's needed, if you take a cab it's needed, if you rent a car  one is needed; hell it's also safer for the plane ride

If you brought a PnP it would have to be checked due to size; rent one while you are FL

Olioxenfree
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:01 PM

We have mifolds for the two older kids and carseats there for the two younger kids.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

How are you all getting around if you don't have a carseat? I mean if family picks you up it's needed, if you take a cab it's needed, if you rent a car  one is needed; hell it's also safer for the plane ride

oryxx31
by Captain Cook on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:04 PM
Most of this stuff is dependent on which airline you're on. I also wonder about the seat situation, and ordering a pack and play on Amazon and shipping it there might be your cheapest bet.
FoxForceFive
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:05 PM

I hate lugging so much around. We usually just check one large suitcase with all of our clothes in it.

mom2devin11005
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:05 PM

What about carseats for at least the 2 youngest ones?  Your best bet is to to at least check the carseats and maybe pack & play if not also 1 suitcase of clothes and other needed items since carryons have a pretty small size limit.

Famousglm714
by Gina on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:06 PM
I only do carry on only for short weekend trips. It just wouldn't be possible for me. I'm a pain, lol. Good luck!
Olioxenfree
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:08 PM

We're using Delta. We have seats three on one side and the middle and aisle on the other, so my eldest son and I will sit on one side (with the baby on my lap) and my husband and the younger two will sit on the other side. That way I can have the aisle to get up with the baby when needed and we are all together. We will have the folding bassinet for the baby to sleep in, so we won't need to buy a pack and play.

Quoting oryxx31: Most of this stuff is dependent on which airline you're on. I also wonder about the seat situation, and ordering a pack and play on Amazon and shipping it there might be your cheapest bet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:08 PM
We only do carry-on and gate check. Each of us has a small suitcase and a personal item. It's very easy to pack a weeks worth of summer clothing in a small carry-on. Roll your shirts for more room.

Check with the airlines. Most will check car seats for free.
Olioxenfree
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:09 PM

We aren't bringing a carseat, did they let you bring a carryon for a lapchild?

Quoting Anonymous 2: We only do carry-on and gate check. Each of us has a small suitcase and a personal item. It's very easy to pack a weeks worth of summer clothing in a small carry-on. Roll your shirts for more room. Check with the airlines. Most will check car seats for free.

Olioxenfree
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:12 PM

The two older kids have mifolds and we have carseats there for the two younger kids, and we are getting the folding bassinet, so we won't need carseats or a pack and play. We could check one bag of clothes if needed, but I'm hoping we can get around that.

Quoting mom2devin11005:

What about carseats for at least the 2 youngest ones?  Your best bet is to to at least check the carseats and maybe pack & play if not also 1 suitcase of clothes and other needed items since carryons have a pretty small size limit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)