Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen and summer holiday

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
What do you do when a teen is off from school during the summer months and only works 8-12 hours a week in the evening?

He is not my son but my husband is upset. I do not get implicated in his children's affairs and keep my nose out of it however, yesterday my husband approached me and asked me what he should do. He asked his son numerous times to either pick up more hours at his current job or get a second part-time job. Nothing has changed thus far.

What would you do? He is 18yo btw.

Thank you.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:11 PM
Why does the kid need more hours or a 2nd job?
This_Lady_KK
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:12 PM

Hand him a water bill or an application for an apartment.

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:12 PM
Is the teen headed off to college? If so I'd do nothing and let them have their last little bit of freedom.

If not then they would be paying rent, and working or they'd find a new place to live.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:13 PM
What is his long term plan? Is he going to college in the fall? All that matters immensely.
handy0318
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:15 PM

Since this is a school break and he does have a part time job... I would do nothing. 

If he wasn't in school, at 18, I would have some kind of financial arrangement in play. Room and board, plus a share in utilities. Also, he would be responsible for his own phone. In our state, we could carry him on insurances, but would have him pay us for his share. 

Then leave it up to him to figure out how to pay. If he didn't pay, then he would be given a notice to move out. 

MamaJess9
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:17 PM
Need more details on the situation. Because in my opinion, a teen off for the summer in between years of high school or recently graduated and going to college in the fall, deserves to have a break during the summer and only work 8-12 hours if that's what he wishes to do. Provided he is earning enough to cover the expenses he and his father previously agreed she would cover. Be glad he has a job at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:18 PM
Why is he at home at 18?
Why is anyone telling him what to do? He is 18 not 8.

I can't fathom any of this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:18 PM

Why does he need more hours?  Is he going to college in the fall?  What is going on?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:20 PM
You realize many kids stay at home part time all thru college.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Why is he at home at 18?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:21 PM
Unheard of in my parts. Most kids are moved out by 17 and or live on campus/ student housing by the time they are in college.

Quoting Anonymous 6: You realize many kids stay at home part time all thru college.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Why is he at home at 18?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)