Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Money and cigarettes

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies

I have a guest house/casita that I am considering renting out since my mother passed. It is just under 500 sq ft, small but clean and has wood floors and a small kitchenette and it newly remodeled. It also has a 1 car garage.

I was browsing CL "housing wanted" ads and cannot believe the people on there. Many are poor and practically homeless. Many also looking for guest houses as they think their shitty credit, low income is going to fly with a private owner than an apt manager.

I came aross this one ad of this woman desperate to get out of her situation. She wants someone to rent her a room. Has no money for 2 weeks, has 2 dogs, and noted she was a smoker but "will smoke outside if necessary". Really? How nice of you.

How does one afford smokes when they have no money and are almost homeless?

And if someone things their animal is a service dog or ESA, think again.

There will be no animals, and no smoking allowed at all.

I do not feel sorry for most broke people. If they have money for smokes, they have momey for the important things in life like rent.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Um, I am a smoker and was in shelters. Sorry but that is the worst time to quit smoking. Its very stressful trying to move. Its much easier to come up with $6 for cigs then $1000 for deposit.
Now, I put an ad Wednesday on craigslist and will be moved out of my place into a room for rent by this Thursday. There are lots of people who needs homes. And craigslist is the fastest way to find a place. Shelter will encourage the residents to look on craigslist and post about it. I did, and it worked.
The thing with the smoking though, you seem kind of rude and snobby. The lady said she smokes but will go outside to smoke. Why such a snobby attitude about it? I see nothing wrong with that. If you didn't want smokers, you should state "NO SMOKERS".
And the lady said she will have money in 2 weeks, so tell her when she gets the money to call and see if place is available. She shouldn't post or reply to anything till she she has the money anyway if she needs immediate move in.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:18 PM

I think it shows poor life skills.

My father in law is a landlord and probably the most strict landlord I've ever heard of...which is why he doesn't get burned.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

They roll them by hand (super cheap) or use their cash assistance. I'm sure some sell some food stamp $. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:24 PM

I totally agree with you. Consider something like Air BnB before you rent it out. You have control over Air BnB, with a renter you could get a nightmare on your hands who'd have all the rights. 

You could also make a lot more with an Air BnB...depending on where you live. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:24 PM

Cigs are a want not a need that money should have went towards getting you shelter. you're completly in the wrong. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Um, I am a smoker and was in shelters. Sorry but that is the worst time to quit smoking. Its very stressful trying to move. Its much easier to come up with $6 for cigs then $1000 for deposit. Now, I put an ad Wednesday on craigslist and will be moved out of my place into a room for rent by this Thursday. There are lots of people who needs homes. And craigslist is the fastest way to find a place. Shelter will encourage the residents to look on craigslist and post about it. I did, and it worked. The thing with the smoking though, you seem kind of rude and snobby. The lady said she smokes but will go outside to smoke. Why such a snobby attitude about it? I see nothing wrong with that. If you didn't want smokers, you should state "NO SMOKERS". And the lady said she will have money in 2 weeks, so tell her when she gets the money to call and see if place is available. She shouldn't post or reply to anything till she she has the money anyway if she needs immediate move in.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:24 PM
I think smoking is a nasty and disgusting habit.

I also think you have a nasty and disgusting attitude about poor people.

I understand not wanting to rent to someone who is high-risk, and I gree that somebody who can't pay rent should be buying cigarettes, but shame on you for being so judgmental and critical. Does it make you feel better about yourself?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow Im glad your life is perfect and you have gained tbe staus of perfect there for are able to judge how someone spends their money.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:29 PM
Lmao😀😁😂🤣😃😄😅😆
I mean, oh, how awful for you.😣😮🤐😯😕😝😒🤕 Are you going to be okay? Step away from the screen and take deep breaths.
Think of your favorite place and just go there in your head. Don't think about 2 dogs or cigarettes.
sarahfire
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

IDK, I just try not to judge people. I don't necessarily agree with cigarettes (I have my reasons) but its not my place to judge people like that. If you don't want them living there then don't let them. No need to judge everyone so harshly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:32 PM

This is your biggest issue?  Give me a break.  I bet I could judge the living hell out of your perfect life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)