Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much do you cater to a vegetarian child?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

My step daughter has been a "vegetarian" for going on two years now. We've never questioned her or given her a hard time about it. She has told me before that her reasons are anything from being against the power dynamic  and how animals are treated to wanting to be healthier because diabeted runs in her family.

I put vegetarian in quotation marks because she has what she calls cheat days and she still eats quite a lot of fish and chicken. When she is with us, she never complains or asks for anything in particular and usually just eats whatever we make. Sometimes she will eat what we eat but without the meat.So, if we make sandwiches, she just takes off the lunch meat.

Several weeks ago, we got a text message from her mother saying that she has been gravely ill since coming back from our house from eating "so much meat" and that if we can't "cater to her special diet maybe we don't need to see her any more." Her words.

I feel like she is not being totally honest and up front with her mother. Or...mom is not being genuine with us? We have veggies and a salad with every meal (I personally love bell peppers for breakfast, I'm a weirdo) so it isn't like she would starve if she did not eat the meat we serve. She is 14 and can more than cook for herself. I make it a point to buy her favorite foods but when I ask what vegetables she likes, she says she doesn't like vegetables. She knows how to google a recipe and we've told her before that if she wants to make something, all she has to do is clean up after herself.

One day, she was asking me when I was going to make dinner. We'd had a heavy and late lunch so at the time I wasn't planning to cook anything unless someone said they were hungry. I told her I could make spaghetti and we could include meatballs or not. She was excited and said she wanted to make it. She never did. Instead, she drank half a gallon of chocolate milk and went to bed.

I don't know that it is necessary for me to cater to her any more than I already do. What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:20 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't cater at all to kids like that. If you want to be a vegetarian or vegan, you can do it when you buy the food. Until then you eat what I serve or you don't eat. Older kids are free to make themselves something else if they want to. As long as it doesn't use something I was planning on using for another meal. We always have cereal, eggs, sandwiches, or top ramen.
HellHound
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:43 PM
It sounds like you are doing great with her faux vegetarianism. I'd ask sd about her being ill and the cause. BM is being dramatic.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:47 PM
My kid has been vegetarian since birth so this is a non issue for me. I wouldn't cater to a child who wanted meat.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:48 PM
I always make sure they have a protein source, but we're not big meat eaters anyways.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:51 PM
If I had a vegetarian child I would totally cater to him, but I'm vegan 😂. As it is I usually just make a vegan main course and meat is available to add to it for DH and the kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:53 PM

I wouldn't cater to it at all in this situation because it's a joke. Cheat days, lol. So silly. I wouldn't even attempt to entertain that bs. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:54 PM

How old is the child?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:55 PM

Sounds fine to me...you're not forcing her to eat anything she doesn't want and you have non meat options there for her

is BM a vegetarian?

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:56 PM

I wouldn't. If one of my kids wanted to be vegetarian, then first he has to show me he's educated in the topic, he knows how to get all the nutrients he needs with that diet and he has to make anything extra himself. I'm not a shirt order cook, I make a meal and if they don't like something or would need something else, that's on them.

And at 14 that would definitely be the case, especially with a kid that doesn't seem too committed to being vegetarian... I mean she morally objects, with a few "cheat days"? Riiiight. And diabetes has nothing to do with vegetarianism. In fact, if she cares to educate herself, animal proteins have very little carbs, so they're a good option for diabetics. Plant based proteins may contain carbs, so diabetics should check those levels.

Oh... and if she doesn't like vegetables, she can't be a good vegetarian. Sounds like she's just being trendy with this "vegetarian" thing.

jant232000
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:56 PM

If she isnt a strict vegetarian, then it sounds like you are doing fine.  If Mom is being a butt, then amybe stash a few quick vegetarin meals in the freezer.  Amys makes some really good microwave dinners.  Maybe some soy "meat"; keep a few cans of beans or some quinioa around.  That way if mom every brings it up again you can genuinly say that you have multiple vegetarian options if she doesnt want to eat the dinner you are serving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)