Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too lazy for home reading

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies
At the beginning of the school year, my 2nd grader dd started home reading (like every kid does). I have 2 older children with sn's as well and they've definitely dominated my time and energy (especially with homework).

We started out home reading strong. The books were too easy for her though. By the end of the first month, there were no classroom books that were challenging enough. So, she just checked out novels and I'd sit there for 20 mins every eve, listening to her read. I'd mark the pages she read. Afterwards, she'd typically continue reading on her own.

Come first parent teacher conference, I told the teacher that I felt home reading was a waste of time for her. I pointed out how everyday I sit and listen and dd needs no help or assistance. That she reads on independently because she loves to read. I told the teacher that I felt having a log book was making something she enjoys doing turn into a chore and was essentially inhibiting her joy. He agreed and we were off the hook for home reading!

My confession is that dd didn't hate the log. She didn't love it either. And she does independently read every day. She journals by choice too. I just didn't have the time to sit with her every night. The older kids need me more than she does right now. And it was also agonizing hearing the stupid tweeny story lines lol I was just being lazy. That's my confession. Bash away!
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:21 PM

Hugs I understand and we hated those reading logs in elementary.

My lazy reading confession is I'd get books on tapes/CD and the kids would listen to those while we drove, before bed, and while we cleaned up the house.

My kids are avid readers then and now.

Quoting Anonymous 1: At the beginning of the school year, my 2nd grader dd started home reading (like every kid does). I have 2 older children with sn's as well and they've definitely dominated my time and energy (especially with homework). We started out home reading strong. The books were too easy for her though. By the end of the first month, there were no classroom books that were challenging enough. So, she just checked out novels and I'd sit there for 20 mins every eve, listening to her read. I'd mark the pages she read. Afterwards, she'd typically continue reading on her own. Come first parent teacher conference, I told the teacher that I felt home reading was a waste of time for her. I pointed out how everyday I sit and listen and dd needs no help or assistance. That she reads on independently because she loves to read. I told the teacher that I felt having a log book was making something she enjoys doing turn into a chore and was essentially inhibiting her joy. He agreed and we were off the hook for home reading! My confession is that dd didn't hate the log. She didn't love it either. And she does independently read every day. She journals by choice too. I just didn't have the time to sit with her every night. The older kids need me more than she does right now. And it was also agonizing hearing the stupid tweeny story lines lol I was just being lazy. That's my confession. Bash away!

This_Lady_KK
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:22 PM

I'm a teacher and I have had an issue with some of the work they expect elementary students to do. It really annoyed me when I realized my child could be written up for not turning in homework that only gets graded for completion, not checked for understanding. What is the point of that? Busy work, that's what.

The problem is that so many parents do not make their kids read, they sit in front of a television. Therefore, schools have become responsible for teaching EVERYTHING and we have no way of holding parents accountable. The result, tons and tons of mind-numbing busy work to take home.

The system is broken.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:33 PM
My kids school requires none of this, it's a homework free school! Well schools, 3 in different schools
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)