Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Having trouble with my lease, please help.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

Mobile Photo

So here it goes, I'm in Texas if that matters.

Is there a required length of time you are supposed to give a tenant notice if you are not going to renew their lease? We asked for the paper work to sign our renewal in April 25th and 3 other times since then. Our lease is up on the 30th and we have still not heard a thing.

Also if they fail to produce the paper work to renew are lease does that mean we switch to being month to month?

Finally we've had a ton of issues with our backyard all of which were supposed to be resolved before we moved in. About 4 weeks ago they put in 10 squares of sod to "fix" the yard that damaged before we moved in. They are requiring us to water twice daily for 30 minutes saying the grass will eventually spread and cover everything. They are not crediting use for the extra watering which seems unfair since this should've been done prior to us moving in a year ago. Do we legally have any leg to stand on asking to be reimbursed?

Moving right now isn't an option unless we absolutely have to. They have one full months rent as a deposit and I'd like it all back when we do move.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:55 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:58 PM
Are you working with the landlord directly or a realtor office?

Call them and leave messages every other day saying you'd love to stay but you need to know if they want you. They don't have to answer. Chances are if they still haven't responded they assume you'll stay.

I'd let the yard thing go until you have a signed lease.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:58 PM

Just water the lawn that is being petty.  As far the lease I would go down there and speak to them it should have done long before now. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:01 PM
With a realtor office.

I'm so frustrated about the yard because it's been unusable all year. We've had a wet year and it becomes mud as soon as water touches it become of how much dirt there is.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Are you working with the landlord directly or a realtor office?

Call them and leave messages every other day saying you'd love to stay but you need to know if they want you. They don't have to answer. Chances are if they still haven't responded they assume you'll stay.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:02 PM
We have spoken in person to them twice and sent 4 emails.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

Just water the lawn that is being petty.  As far the lease I would go down there and speak to them it should have done long before now. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:03 PM
What do they say when you ask about the lease?

I'm sure the yard sucks. But first things first.

Quoting Anonymous 1: With a realtor office.

I'm so frustrated about the yard because it's been unusable all year. We've had a wet year and it becomes mud as soon as water touches it become of how much dirt there is.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Are you working with the landlord directly or a realtor office?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:03 PM
If you insist on the yard being fixed, then water it. A yard typically isn't a maintenance necessity covered under a lease.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:05 PM

I thought that was odd myself. 

Quoting Anonymous 5: If you insist on the yard being fixed, then water it. A yard typically isn't a maintenance necessity covered under a lease.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:09 PM

Grass doesn't just "fill in".  You will have weeds in the empty spaces long before that grass could spread out.  I could see the extra watering requirement if they had put grass seed down, but sod doesn't spread really.  It stays where you put it.  It might need some extra water until it establishes itself though.  Do you have anything in writing about them fixing the backyard before you moved in?  If so, you might have some legal recourse.

You need to hear now about the renewal.  Make an appointment and go into the office if necessary.  If you don't, I think it does just go to a month-to-month.  I don't know for sure.  Read over your lease carefully and see what it says.   There should be a clause that states the length of time for renewal notices or notices to vacate.  There might even be a clause that says that if it isn't renewed it goes to month-to-month.  While moving might not be convenient right now, you might want to start looking, because if they won't renew or give you the monthly, you might absolutely have to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:12 PM
The yard will not be fixed be what they are doing. They said they would redo the whole yard a year ago when we moved in.

Quoting Anonymous 5: If you insist on the yard being fixed, then water it. A yard typically isn't a maintenance necessity covered under a lease.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)