Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Uniform Proposal

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

Does anyone know how to go about making a proposal for school uniforms? Would I write a letter to the school board, principal...who???

*Thanks for the feedback ladies. Hearing from those of you opposed to the idea is informative.*

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Susan_Marie1984
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:51 PM
You have to address the school board. Usually they have an open floor at meetings for community members to speak. It would probably help if you could get some more parents on board.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:53 PM

Great. Thanks for the info. 

Quoting Susan_Marie1984: You have to address the school board. Usually they have an open floor at meetings for community members to speak. It would probably help if you could get some more parents on board.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:53 PM

You address the school board but boy would I shoot you down in a millisecond. 

Susan_Marie1984
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:56 PM
Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Great. Thanks for the info. 

Quoting Susan_Marie1984: You have to address the school board. Usually they have an open floor at meetings for community members to speak. It would probably help if you could get some more parents on board.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Why do you want uniforms? Just wondering what your reasoning is. It definitely sounds like a good idea until you think about the fact that kids are bullies , if you make everyone wear the same stuff they will now just find something more personal to pick on. Some families are able to stretch their money by wearing hand me downs. Just a few thoughts that may be used to shoot your proposal down.

Famousglm714
by Gina on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:57 PM

BUMP!

stayathommom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:02 PM
On behalf of my kids, who do have to wear uniforms, please don't do this. I HATE uniforms. Hate them! They're expensive and by the end of the year I'm sick of dressing my kids in the same colors every damn day. Plus, all those cute little back to school pictures that I see all over Facebook kill me because I can't dress my daughter up the way that she wants to be dressed.
*rant over*
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:09 PM

I appreciate the feed back. So myy children have never worn uniforms. None of the schools in our districts do uniforms, so I guess it's kind of weird that I'd want them. Lol. Anyway some of my reasoning is an even playing field (or bullying like you stated), uniforms MIGHT mean students are more focused on academics and less on who's wearing what, might encourage a more disciplined and unifity, and parents may save money. Uniforms can also be handed down, and I've heard some schools have programs where parents can donate old uniforms that are professionally cleaned and parents can "shop" through gently used uniforms. 

These are just MY ideas. I've been thinking about it for only a few months now so it's definitely not something I'm ready to take before a school board just yet because I'd like to do more research and perhaps talk to other parents. 

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Why do you want uniforms? Just wondering what your reasoning is. It definitely sounds like a good idea until you think about the fact that kids are bullies , if you make everyone wear the same stuff they will now just find something more personal to pick on. Some families are able to stretch their money by wearing hand me downs. Just a few thoughts that may be used to shoot your proposal down.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:11 PM

Oh no! I never thought of that. I figured Cafemom was the perfect place to get great feedback from both sides.

I thought schools would make exceptions for school pictures and other special occasions. Bummer. How much would you say you spend on uniforms each year?

Quoting stayathommom: On behalf of my kids, who do have to wear uniforms, please don't do this. I HATE uniforms. Hate them! They're expensive and by the end of the year I'm sick of dressing my kids in the same colors every damn day. Plus, all those cute little back to school pictures that I see all over Facebook kill me because I can't dress my daughter up the way that she wants to be dressed. *rant over*

ColieO
by Emerald Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:13 PM
Uniforms don't fix bullying or problems focusing on school. Kids still find shit to pick on or something else to care about more than school work. I wore uniforms in junior high and my kids wear them in elementary. Nothing changes.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I appreciate the feed back. So myy children have never worn uniforms. None of the schools in our districts do uniforms, so I guess it's kind of weird that I'd want them. Lol. Anyway some of my reasoning is an even playing field (or bullying like you stated), uniforms MIGHT mean students are more focused on academics and less on who's wearing what, might encourage a more disciplined and unifity, and parents may save money. Uniforms can also be handed down, and I've heard some schools have programs where parents can donate old uniforms that are professionally cleaned and parents can "shop" through gently used uniforms. 

These are just MY ideas. I've been thinking about it for only a few months now so it's definitely not something I'm ready to take before a school board just yet because I'd like to do more research and perhaps talk to other parents. 

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)