Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this be rude?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:04 PM
  • 37 Replies

My husband's step-grandmother just emailed me and said that she got my kids new backpacks for school, as part of a birthday present for them and got the new baby a beach bag. They all have summer birthdays and we are visiting her soon, so she wants to give them some of their gifts while we are there, and she wanted to give some things to the new baby. They are all really nice bags that the kids will love and they are personalized, I am very grateful as she doesn't have to do things like that. She sent me the previews for the bags and I just noticed that she put my six year old eldest son's first name on the bag, Anders. He goes by his middle name, Cassian.

She calls him Anders, always has, it isn't a big deal since it's just her and he isn't bothered. But, while he is old enough to know to be polite and not complain to her and I know he will like the bag overall, he will be bothered that it doesn't have the name that he goes by. I checked on the website and since she just ordered them today, she could have it changed. I can have my husband make the call himself if she sends the information. Would it be rude to ask her if we can change it to Cassian? She is pretty old-fashioned and I don't want to come off as picky and unappreciative. She honestly probably just didn't think of it. I might just be overthinking of it from all of the hormones, just having had a baby. 

Since the large majority think it's okay, I think I'm going to ask her. Here's the email I was thinking:

Thank you so much for thinking of the kids. The bags are beautiful and I know the kids will love them, we really appreciate it. I have a favor to ask, Anders goes by Cassian at school and I wouldn't want to confuse his classmates, would it be possible to put Cassian on his backpack? If it's an inconvenience, don't worry about it, I am sure he will love it no matter what. 

Looking forward to seeing you soon, 

Olivie

Here are the previews she sent me, I'm sharing because I think they are too cute

by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:06 PM
Someone mentioned in another post that you used to be lenashark.

I can totally tell lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:08 PM

Call her up. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:09 PM

Call and ask or forever cover the name with tape afterward.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:11 PM
I would call her and ask her if she could have it changed. If she won't, you can always remove the name, and have it redone.
KenneMaw
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:12 PM

I would call and tell her your DS goes by a different name. 

This is what always gets me...why not give your child the first name of the name he will be called?   NAme him Caisson Anders instead of Anders Caisson.   It would solve so many problems, but what done is done, however it can be a lesson to other parents. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:13 PM
Ah I was totally getting that vibe while reading before I even scrolled to the replies.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Someone mentioned in another post that you used to be lenashark.

I can totally tell lol.
cynnie22
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:14 PM

I'd call her and asked to have it changed.  If I was the gift giver I'd want to make sure I had the correct name and spelling on each bag.

Olioxenfree
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:14 PM

I'm not and the only reason anyone has given me for saying that is that we both supposedly live in upstate NY. Along with hundreds of thousands of other people. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Someone mentioned in another post that you used to be lenashark. I can totally tell lol.

This_Lady_KK
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:15 PM

I wouldn't say anything. My daughter is constantly getting gifts that spell her name Elizabeth but we spell it with an S. I have instructed her to always be gracious, no matter what.

Besides....I thought it was unsafe to have names on their backpacks.

susannah2000
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:16 PM

I would not ask her to change it. She put his legal first name on it. If your snowflake doesn't like his legal first name, oh well.  It was very kind of the grandmother to give the kids such nice packs, and you need to leave them as they are. If you wanted to name him Cassian, you should have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)