Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unprofessional?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

My DH and I own a fine dining restaurant. We are preparing to open a second location and are nearly ready to begin staffing it. I placed ads on Craigslist, indeed, and Monster, as well as a few local job search engines. I linked to one of the ads within a couple of Facebook groups for my local area as well. 

I have had several responses by now, but something about the ones from Facebook caught my attention. I am hiring kitchen staff right now - line cooks & dishwashers. I've gotten about two dozen messages on Facebook, and almost every one of them is a young lady seeking employment for her boyfriend/husband. And not just offering a name or asking how to apply, but full on trying to set up interviews for them.

My first instinct is to simply ignore these messages. It seems as though a person who can't even be bothered to contact a potential employer personally is not lIkely to have a very strong work ethic. But the sheer volume of these types or responses make me wonder if perhaps I'm being too hasty. Is this a common thing now that I simply wasn't aware of, or am I right to see these as poor candidates and move on?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Olioxenfree
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

No, it isn't a common thing, and I wouldn't respond to any of those. If they want a job, they would say so themselves. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:58 PM
3 moms liked this
I think you're reading the situation pretty accurately.
Pink.Sunshine
by Miss Bossy Pants on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:58 PM
It's extremely unprofessional
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:58 PM

Poor candidates. Move on. Like you said, if they're not willing to put in the work of simplying applying for a job, can you imagine what they'd be like at work?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:58 PM

It honestly sounds like a scam. I wouldn't give them any time or attention.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:58 PM

That is so sad and embarrassing. I wouldn't even respond. Women like that are nuts and will come up there causing all sorts of trouble if you were to hire him. Plus the guy is probably a mess and/or man child. Ignore!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:58 PM
Not common. It screams that the potential applicant is irresponsible.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:59 PM

We should be concerned about the women who are supporting these men. Lol. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:59 PM
I would ignore all of the girlfriends. They already made a bad impression.
lacyd75_anew
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't see it as very professional. I'd never contact a place for my dh about a job. And he wouldn't want me to either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)