Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unprofessional?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My DH and I own a fine dining restaurant. We are preparing to open a second location and are nearly ready to begin staffing it. I placed ads on Craigslist, indeed, and Monster, as well as a few local job search engines. I linked to one of the ads within a couple of Facebook groups for my local area as well. 

I have had several responses by now, but something about the ones from Facebook caught my attention. I am hiring kitchen staff right now - line cooks & dishwashers. I've gotten about two dozen messages on Facebook, and almost every one of them is a young lady seeking employment for her boyfriend/husband. And not just offering a name or asking how to apply, but full on trying to set up interviews for them.

My first instinct is to simply ignore these messages. It seems as though a person who can't even be bothered to contact a potential employer personally is not lIkely to have a very strong work ethic. But the sheer volume of these types or responses make me wonder if perhaps I'm being too hasty. Is this a common thing now that I simply wasn't aware of, or am I right to see these as poor candidates and move on?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:55 PM
Replies (31-39):
sweetfox3
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this
The only time I think it is even remotely acceptable for a spouse, parent, or significant other (or friend) to contact the employer or prospective employer is if the employee/potential candidate is unable to do so for themselves. In which case the person should either be unconscious or deceased.

My mom constantly did stuff like that with her husband. Annoyed me then (20 years ago)

Quoting Anonymous 11: It always cracks me up when I get phone calls from a spouse or a parent. I work in recruiting and it even happens on the professional level, not just retail etc.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

The only time that is acceptable is if the person has a disability-maybe they are deaf, etc. Deaf people of course can send messages but not everyone is tech-smart.

elzmnsf
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:20 PM
No, that's weird. My dh is a cook and would be mortified if I did that. He is a man, and a well-trained professional. He doesn't need or want me to line up a job for him.
jant232000
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:20 PM

No, No, No.  I used to manage restaurants.  I will bet my left arm boyfriend is into drugs/alcohol and too lazy to get off the couch.  If she is having to find work for him, then she will end up being the one calling him into work sick.  If she had half a brain she would have just forwarded his resume, or used his email to pretend to be him.  Do not hire him.

elzmnsf
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:23 PM
My dh is a kitchen lead at a restaurant right now, and he works really closely with the restaurant manager. They had a guy's mom come in crying last week because they didn't fire his lazy ass with a bad attitude, and she wanted them to know how much they need the money and all that. It was ridiculous. The guy is lazy and gives attitude all the time, and yelled at the manager the other day demanding more hours and to not be sent home early on slow days.

Quoting sweetfox3: The only time I think it is even remotely acceptable for a spouse, parent, or significant other (or friend) to contact the employer or prospective employer is if the employee/potential candidate is unable to do so for themselves. In which case the person should either be unconscious or deceased.

My mom constantly did stuff like that with her husband. Annoyed me then (20 years ago)

Quoting Anonymous 11: It always cracks me up when I get phone calls from a spouse or a parent. I work in recruiting and it even happens on the professional level, not just retail etc.
sweetfox3
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:25 PM
Not restaurants but my stepdad was similar. Mom kept calling him in sick because he would stay up all night. He would get fired. Mom would put in his applications until he got another job and the cycle begins again until he finally managed to get disability right before he aged into social security retirement.

Quoting jant232000:

No, No, No.  I used to manage restaurants.  I will bet my left arm boyfriend is into drugs/alcohol and too lazy to get off the couch.  If she is having to find work for him, then she will end up being the one calling him into work sick.  If she had half a brain she would have just forwarded his resume, or used his email to pretend to be him.  Do not hire him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I think this is the first time I've ever seen unanimous agreement on CM. good to know I'm not just old and out of touch!

Quoting sweetfox3: Not restaurants but my stepdad was similar. Mom kept calling him in sick because he would stay up all night. He would get fired. Mom would put in his applications until he got another job and the cycle begins again until he finally managed to get disability right before he aged into social security retirement.
Quoting jant232000:

sweetfox3
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:39 PM
She didn't want to divorce him because she would be paying him alimony (full support) and the cost of living is too high to support two households on just her salary. And selling the house is not an option. He is sick and old, now, but stubbornly keeps the devil waiting.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I think this is the first time I've ever seen unanimous agreement on CM. good to know I'm not just old and out of touch!

Quoting sweetfox3: Not restaurants but my stepdad was similar. Mom kept calling him in sick because he would stay up all night. He would get fired. Mom would put in his applications until he got another job and the cycle begins again until he finally managed to get disability right before he aged into social security retirement.

Quoting jant232000:

cali_gurl
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Perhaps the man doesn't have a facebook account. But yes it is kinda silly and not a good start. You should respond that the potential employee is welcome to contact you himself at xyz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)