Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is why I'm scared to go to college

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies
I'm terrified to fail. I barely passed high school. I ended up going to adult ed, it was easier and you didn't need as many credits. I failed algebra 1 like 4 times. I feel stupid. Some of my teachers made accommodations for me to help. I feel like such a failure and very stupid
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:25 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:25 PM

What is your end goal with going to college? Perhaps a traditional education isn't for you. It would be unwise to continue to attempt the same thing without making changes to help you succeed. That goes for anything, not just schooling. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:25 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:26 PM
I don't understand your first sentence

Quoting Anonymous 2:

What is your end goal with going to college? Perhaps a traditional education isn't for you. It would be unwise to continue to attempt the same thing without making changes to help you succeed. That goes for anything, not just schooling. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:27 PM
So don't go. College isn't necessary.
ThatDancerGirl
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:28 PM
Have you been tested for learning disabilities? I'll be honest, if high school was hard for you, college may not be doable. What are you wanting to do with your degree? There could be alternate routes (like trade school)
belle2780
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:28 PM
I am returning to school myself and a little worried as I have ADHD but no meds for it. However when I talked with the business college I chose, they explained how they had change the schedule to make it less stressful on students. For example instead of working on 3 or 4 differen classes for 12 weeks at a time, i could pick one class and focus on it for a month, then move onto the next class for a month and a 3rd class for a month as long as I had 3 to 4 classes registered for that trimester, student aid sees me as full time. They also offer flex class but I have to pay for that out of pocket and basically if I feel I need to extend a class into the next semester or it's easy and I want to finish it early I can work as needed. I am horrible with math as well but beyond general math just depends on what degree I am going for. I plan on paralegal so it's likely I won't need accounting classes or anything beyond general math.
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Start with community college. They will do a placement test and put you in the appropriate level of math/english etc.

They also usually have free tutoring, USE IT! I used to do my homework in the tutoring center.

Talk to the admissions and registration counselors. Ask for help. They are there to get you through it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:29 PM

Sorry, it was a type and I fixed it. What do you want out of college? Are you going for a specific job? Just to say you have a degree? Traditional college isn't for everyone.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't understand your first sentence
Quoting Anonymous 2:

LeftieX
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:29 PM
There are plenty of jobs that don't require a degree. What do you like to do?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)