Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is why I'm scared to go to college

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm terrified to fail. I barely passed high school. I ended up going to adult ed, it was easier and you didn't need as many credits. I failed algebra 1 like 4 times. I feel stupid. Some of my teachers made accommodations for me to help. I feel like such a failure and very stupid
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:21 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:48 PM
If someone is bad at a subject. Yes it is normal. If you're good at Math, then no failing four times isn't normal.

Quoting ThatDancerGirl: I said she may have a disability, not that she did. Failing the same class 4 times is not normal. It is sad that you think otherwise.
Quoting Anonymous 7: Well I failed that many or more times and I just don't get math. It doesn't mean they have a disability. Basic is subjective. Many people here say Algebra is basic. I find it extreme hard. I don't have any disability. Some people just aren't good at math. That's pretty normal
Quoting ThatDancerGirl: No, but failing basic math 4 times is a pretty big indication of one. I'm not saying she has one, just that it's likely.

Quoting Anonymous 7: Everything isn't a disability

Quoting ThatDancerGirl: Have you been tested for learning disabilities? I'll be honest, if high school was hard for you, college may not be doable. What are you wanting to do with your degree? There could be alternate routes (like trade school)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:50 PM

My algebra teacher was very supportive. Failed development math 3 times and passed his class with a D. I'm certain I actually failed his class. I'm willing to bet money on it. Lol. But in the begining of the semester I told him I would need a lot of help. He told me if I put in the work, I would pass. I should up for tutoring whenever it was available, stayed after class, and only answered a handful of questions on my final exam. I know I failed but I appreciate him being kind enough to give me the D. 

Quoting Anonymous 8:

I agree with other posts- start with a community college. There will be a lot of other people who have struggled like you- and the teachers tend to be supportive. Don't go unless you have a goal- once you do it really helps your focus!

jant232000
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:51 PM

I started back at school at 36. Im transferring to the university in the fall.  I read your entire post and didnt see the most important question answered.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:55 PM
I use to want to learn sign language

Quoting jant232000:

I started back at school at 36. Im transferring to the university in the fall.  I read your entire post and didnt see the most important question answered.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:55 PM

Well I failed other classes as well. Math was just the one I failed on a consistent basis. Lol. School was just not for me. I hated school when I was younger. But as an adult I was able to pick my interest. Maybe that's why I did better in college. I started at community college right after high school and failed those classes too. Smh. It was years before I went back to the community college and transfered to a four year university. I still graduated with honors. You can do this! Don't let the idea of failure stop you. You'll regret it. Trust me. I feel like I'm so far behind my peers because I thought school was too hard. I wish I'd had the courage to continue when I was younger. But I also wouldn't have done as well then either. You'll be fine. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: I didn't fail just math.
Quoting Anonymous 4:

Not necessarily. I barely made it out of high school because of math. I started at a community college and failed the development math class 3 times. Passed basic algebra with a D. I don't have a disability, I just suck at math. Lol. She can do this. 

Quoting ThatDancerGirl: No, but failing basic math 4 times is a pretty big indication of one. I'm not saying she has one, just that it's likely.
Quoting Anonymous 7: Everything isn't a disability
Quoting ThatDancerGirl: Have you been tested for learning disabilities? I'll be honest, if high school was hard for you, college may not be doable. What are you wanting to do with your degree? There could be alternate routes (like trade school)

jant232000
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:57 PM

So do you want to be an interpreter ?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I use to want to learn sign language
Quoting jant232000:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:58 PM
I wanted to

Quoting jant232000:

Quoting jant232000:

chefmartha
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 5:04 PM

No reason to feel scared. I took 17 years to get around to going and I don't regret it at all. I actually had a friend drag me down to sign up for a class. She didn't want to end up being the oldest person in the class. LOL... Just take it slow. Start with on class. That's what I did. I took a health class that was first aid based. After that I took a math class (I did very poorly in algebra in HS too) it was a pre-algebra class. I was very surprised by how well I did that time considering how poorly I did in HS.

After that I went to two classes a term so that I could concentrate on them. I did that for two terms and then started going full time and in the summer. College is much different from HS. I'm even thinking of going back again and taking more classes even though I graduated with an AS degree 13 years ago. I'm thinking of maybe taking some art history classes and art classes. If I'm lucky maybe I can find some classes in the field my degree is in and improve my skills there. I don't know yet. 

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 5:06 PM

If you understand what difficulties/strenghs  you have going to college will not be that scary.  I suggest seeing a neuro psychologist to evaluate you/diagnose.  I have a learning disorder, Auditory Processing Disorder.  I had difficulties understanding Algebra in high school but with a private teacher I did well.  In college I went to a 2 year school for smaller classes.  The smaller classes helped me to focus better and my grades were very good. 

If you need more assistance in college check with their IEP services/Section 504 accommodations.  Each college can be different with what is available but I suggest just attending a public 2 year school now since classes are smaller.  Have your diagnosis sent to the disabilities department to receive services/accommodations.

jant232000
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 5:07 PM

Does your area have a need for it; or are you willing to move?

The most important thing you need to figure out before you go back to school, is what kind of job do you want to have; and is there a market for that job.  There is nothing worse than going to school only to find out no one is hiring for that.

Think of you dream job.  What aspects does that dream job have?  

Lets say for example you always saw your self becoming a doctor.  List out what you love 1) helping people 2)love medical 3) get to work with you hands etc

If you dont have 8 years and $100,000 to spend on becoming a doctor what other jobs have those same qualities but allow for less education?  1)RN 2)LVN 3)CNA 4) dental assistant 5) vet tech etc

there are tons of tech degrees and certificates that are offered at the Juinor College level.  DO NOT do those online, as seen on tv colleges...they are a sham.

A lot of these degrees dont require advanced knowledge of math, history etc.  Plus going in as an older student you have more life skills and hopefully more disipline.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I wanted to
Quoting jant232000:

Quoting jant232000:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)