Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It May Not Bother You, But It Bothers Me

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:43 PM
  • 18 Replies

So, if you are a dog owner, have you ever had this happen?

Right now I have a puppy that I am training. She is a cavalier so she won't be very big but I still want her to have good manners. She is very friendly so when she meets new people, she immediately wants to jump up on them. When she does it, I pull back on the leash, make her sit, and say "No jumping Maggy." I was walking her this afternoon and my neighbor came over to see her. Maggy jumped on her and I pulled her back and told her not to jump. She said "Oh, she doesn't bother me." and patted her legs to get her to jump on her again. I just smiled and said "Well, she does bother me." 

I try not to get annoyed with it but I can't help it. I wasn't rude about it. I want her to have good manners when greeting strangers in public, especially since I'm hoping for her to be a service dog for me.

by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:45 PM
Yes, but my dogs have learned who they can jump on and know if I say down they immediately stop.

They know up and down.
This_Lady_KK
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:50 PM

People do the same thing with children, don't they?

I have no doubt that they have good intentions but usually their intentions are to make sure I know that they are not judging me.

I don't care if you judge me. I will still raise my children and my dogs the way I think is right. A lot of people don't like crate training. I think they don't understand it. But either way, my dog is crate trained and I love it.

Neko_Nightstar
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:53 PM

That's great. I admit I used to do the same thing when I was younger. My first dog (I got her when I was 8 and she died when I was 18) wasn't much of a jumper, plus she was small so it was never an issue. Then when I got my second dog, she was much bigger and she was bad about jumping so I quickly learned how annoying it was when someone said that their illmannered dog didn't bother them, lol. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yes, but my dogs have learned who they can jump on and know if I say down they immediately stop. They know up and down.

cali_gurl
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:53 PM

No I haven't had it happen. But people tend to say "It's ok". But I say no they aren't allowed to jump on anyone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I admit, I am do not care if dogs jump on me, but if the owner apologies and tells the dog to sit, I do not encourage the dog to jump on me. That would be rude and totally confuse the dog with what the owner is trying to do.

Neko_Nightstar
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:57 PM

I admit I have done that with kids, lol. Like when a baby is fussy and the parents are trying to calm them down and start apologizing. I know that can make a difference to an overwhelmed parent. I have also been known to offer to help with the fussy baby. I have a magic touch. I don't have kids of my own yet but I am great with babies. I have nieces and nephews and I have been babysitting since I was 11.

I use a crate for Maggy at night and while we're gone and sometimes when she needs a nap and I need a break. I never used a crate with any of my other dogs but now I don't know how I ever got by without it. After she is potty trained, I will let her sleep with me and run loose while we're gone. 

Quoting This_Lady_KK:

People do the same thing with children, don't they?

I have no doubt that they have good intentions but usually their intentions are to make sure I know that they are not judging me.

I don't care if you judge me. I will still raise my children and my dogs the way I think is right. A lot of people don't like crate training. I think they don't understand it. But either way, my dog is crate trained and I love it.

beeky
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:59 PM
Good for you!

I hate when dogs jump up on me.
Neko_Nightstar
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:59 PM

Exactly. I don't mind with smaller dogs but with bigger dogs I don't allow it. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I admit, I am do not care if dogs jump on me, but if the owner apologies and tells the dog to sit, I do not encourage the dog to jump on me. That would be rude and totally confuse the dog with what the owner is trying to do.

Neko_Nightstar
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 5:01 PM

I don't mind it as much for smaller dogs but even with my smaller dogs, they can knock over a kid. My older dog is better about it now but she was bad about jumping when she was excited and I never could completely break her of it. When my niece and nephew were little, she would bowl them over because she would get so excited to see them. 

Quoting beeky: Good for you! I hate when dogs jump up on me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 5:07 PM

As someone who does not exactly care for dogs...thank you.  I've grown to like my neighbor's dogs because I see them almost every day, but there are times I don't like how one of the little one jumps up and puts his paws on my legs every time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)