Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding mom @ public pool

Posted by   + Show Post
This was in the news. She was asked to be more discreet while breastfeeding at the public pool.

Let me start by saying that i breastfed, in public as well. I never used a cover because my child didnt like it.
However i never exposed myself - and not one time did anyone ever say anything nor seem to realize i was breastfeeding.

This mother say on the side of the pool and breastfed. And shes upset that she was asked to be more discreet??!

Im all for breastfeeding, and in public.
However if you are around kids that are not yours nor your family or friends - perhaps be respectful of others. You dont need to be exposed and make it so other kids (strangers) see your breast.
You also dont need to be sitting on the edge of the pool doing it either.
Some people havent taught their kids about breastfeeding, and the kids dont know anything about it or breast period.
At the same time - those same kids may have already been taught about body safety and sexual safety.
And there she is exposing herself.
Its no different then parents who have rules in certain tv shows etc.
And she took it upon herself to do what she wanted to in a way that could have been so much easier.
By sitting in her lounge chair breastfeeding.
Not exposed while also sitting on the edge of the pool!
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 5:38 PM
Replies (271-276):
Pastalove
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2017 at 12:10 AM
Nothing more than an attention seeker. Loser!!!!!
ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Jun. 22, 2017 at 12:12 AM

i'd be more concerned about hte people in skimpy swimsuits then a woman breastfeeding.

MistressMonster
by Sour Grapes on Jun. 22, 2017 at 1:19 AM

Can be topless in my city. Heard you can actually be nude, as long as you aren't being lewd. 

Quoting Anonymous 60:

I don't know...you can't be topless in the USA unless you're in certain places (can't think where) and it's not Europe where the beaches are nude. I kinda think you need to cover up around a bunch of little kids at the pool, amusement park, whatever. I mean, is it so hard? Probably the sun is in baby's eyes anyway...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 73 on Jun. 22, 2017 at 1:05 PM
I see your point, but I would hope those women in the bikinis don't have their nipples covered.

I didn't see how she took her breast out, I hope she used some modesty.

Quoting Isaacsmom913: I am a formula feeder and 100% disagree with this! When they start telling women whose breasts and butts are barely covered by their barely there bikinis THEN they can tell a woman feeding her child to be more discreet, period.
momkelly2
by on Jun. 22, 2017 at 3:16 PM

I breastfeed both of my kids and in public.   But I was descreet unless I was in my own home.   I wouldn't expose my breast in a tiny bikini and I didn't do so breastfeeding.     Most people never knew I was feeding.   And there is nothing wrong with that.   I do know some women with extreemly large breast that do it in public to make a point, to say I can do it!!!   to me, by doing that you are missing the point of actually breastfeeding your child.   For one you are nourshing your child...   but more important you are bonding with your baby.  and if you are busy Making your mark for Breastfeeding in public you are not all about your child you are all about you!  Do what you want... but if I could do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing about how I handled breastfeeding in public.   

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2017 at 7:05 PM
Exactly.

Quoting Trouser.Mouse: Common sense and respect would be to stop sexualizing breastfeeding.

Quoting Chilebean2010: I get that. But what about common sense? Respect for other people and their young kids?

Quoting Trouser.Mouse: If it is a public pool, she doesn't have to. End of story.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)