Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what mistakes

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
did you make as a parent when your kids were little? Things that in retrospect, you realize were horrible or less than ideal?
For me, it's trying to do CIO with my son as a newborn.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Queen_Coffee
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

A lot. 

I bedshared, but had pillows and blankets in the bed and over her. I warmed her formula bottles in the microwave, kept bottles in the fridge and reheated them, gave her solid food starting around 3 months, She fell off the couch twice. I had no clue what the hell I was doing, and I'm often amazed that she survived babyhood!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:52 PM
None. I'm a perfect parent
12345abcde54321
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:53 PM
I could have been more patient with developmentally appropriate behaviors that were frustrating but I'm pretty proud, looking back
This_Lady_KK
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:55 PM

Retrospect is the best perspective, amirite?

maureen813
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:57 PM
I think I let my kids eat too many sweets when they were little although they are 16 and 18 and have no cavities thankfully!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:57 PM
I yelled A LOT! I thought I could manage by intimidation. I couldn't stand that I didn't control every movement when they were toddlers and it drove me nuts when they didn't do what I wanted. I spanked my oldest once out of frustration. I still regret that 7 years later.

My 3 year old is really benefiting from my age and perspective. I've let so many things go and my house is peaceful now.
tsatske2
by Latricia on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:59 PM

We lived on a farm. My kids got into amazing kinds of trouble before school. My youngest son escaped the house naked after a bath, and more than once escaped the house and made it all the way down the 2,000-foot drive to the main road. The children more than once climbed into parked cars and put them in gear and rolled them into something - the house, another car, the creek. They were probably less supervised at a younger age than I would do today. 

Trouser.Mouse
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:04 PM
Not putting all of my children in swimming lessons.

Trouser.Mouse
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:06 PM
How I disciplined and my ability to take a step back, relax, and figure out a better way has significantly improved. I did not have the best parenting skills with my oldest kids when it came to discipline. They had it pretty rough while I was learning.

Quoting Anonymous 4: I yelled A LOT! I thought I could manage by intimidation. I couldn't stand that I didn't control every movement when they were toddlers and it drove me nuts when they didn't do what I wanted. I spanked my oldest once out of frustration. I still regret that 7 years later.

My 3 year old is really benefiting from my age and perspective. I've let so many things go and my house is peaceful now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:06 PM

My only child is in his 20's, I can look back and see more things than I care to count.  Times where I wish I had more patience. Times where I wish I would have had more understanding. Times where I wish I hadn't have been rushed with 50 million other things going on. Times I wish.............times that I can never get back.  

However, no matter how much I see those things and fault myself, my child never fails to tell me that I am the best mom and always have been. In his eyes, I was/am the best. And in the end, that's what really matters (and should to all of us) what our kid's think of us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)