Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Found a stray dog, what now?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies

Mobile Photo

It was pitiful
We live in the city. I was taking the trash out when what I thought was a rat, buy was actually a little dog, ran at me

It was wet, skinny, like 4lbs, and she just looks, for lack of a better word, pitiful.
She always slouches and flinches, I don't know if that's a small dog thing, or just her

She hangs he head low and doesn't look up much. I might suspect she was abused but she's SUCH an affectionate dog, I just don't know

I took her in, called animal control. reported that I found her. The next day we printed out some flyers and posted them around our neighborhood ( also took her to AC to drop a flyer, vet checked her out, no microchip, disease free, but we didn't get her shots)

It's been 2 weeks, no ones called for her. Animal control says we can keep her. The kids love her, but I don't know how this works

What if her owners call in 3 months from now to get her? Is this how anyone else got their dogs?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

reaandiziesmama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
In my area stray hold is ten days. If, after reasonable efforts no owners are found in that time the dog becomes legally adoptable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:07 PM
I say she's yours. She's cute. She have a name yet?
SummerDreaming
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this
We call animal control to come pick up the strays. I worry to much about disease and illness to even touch a stray animal, let alone bring into the house.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:08 PM

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW its yorkie. With her flinching like you said, I would say she ran away and keep her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this
The kids named her Petunia

Quoting Anonymous 2: I say she's yours. She's cute. She have a name yet?
andreamarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:09 PM
Congrats
143myboys9496
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:10 PM
If animal control told you, you can keep the dog, you can keep her.
I'd ask animal control what happens if the owners call in 3 months.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:11 PM
I think you own a dog now. 💝 No collar and no microchip equals yours. At least that is my opinion. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:11 PM
I would normally do the same, but this thing just broke my heart

It's so tiny and pathetic and desperate for love, I couldn't help it. We did see the vet at the animal control place the day after we found her, and left the flyer with pics and our number

Quoting SummerDreaming: We call animal control to come pick up the strays. I worry to much about disease and illness to even touch a stray animal, let alone bring into the house.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)